Double side tape

Mzdadoc

Ha! I had to chuckle when I read your post. I've used the same tape as you and had a really tough time getting the two pieces apart. I've used double sided scotch tape - it worked but left a residue on both pieces.

I don't recommend using scotch tape. I know others will chime in with the correct info.

It is a little expensive, but the Avery Woodworkers tape works very well.  It has strong lateral strength, but is designed to be pulled apart easily.  Plus the tape can be reused if making multiple pieces of the same template.  

http://www.woodcraft.com/category/4/1001087/2085967/Avery%20Dennison%20Woodworking%20Tape.aspx

I like to use turners tape, as it has excellent holding power, and it's thick enough that you can easily slide a putty knife between parts to separate them. The only trick is to not use to much, two to four little 1" square pieces is all you need, even for the largest jobs.

www.rockler.com/double-sided-turners-tape

I've had great luck for many years with plain old Duck Carpet Tape from the big boxes.    A big factor is HOW MUCH you use...  :o

Small strips, maybe 1" wide x the width of the roll, at various places around the part, works well for me, applied with moderate hand pressure.  It took some experience to get a feel for how much to use, as well as how much pressure.   Too much of either, and it's no fun to remove.     One time, I used a long strip and squeezed it in the bench vise, THAT STUFF was ON THERE!

I usually use a 4" putty knife to get the separation started, then rub any remaining strings off with my fingers.

• Like 1

Thanks guys!!!! I made my first ever Adirondack chair and learned a ton and had a great time doing it. Made templates so pieces matched and I put two long strips 1" wide along both sides and pulled liked an ape to get them apart.

Now I've learned use sparingly!!!! Lol

If someone could send me a link on how/where to upload from I'd love to post my chair....

Use the more reply options button and then you'll see attach files. Click choose file to navigate to where your pictures are stored and select it. Then it uploads. You then have to click attach this file and it pastes it in as text into your reply. As long as your pictures are less than 1.46mb in total you can upload quite a few.

You could start a new thread in the Showcase section of the forum.

• Like 1

I rub off the residue with one of those crepe rubber blocks they sell for cleaning sanding belts. For the best results sand a clean face on the block then it will quickly rub all the reside off. This technique also works well for excess contact cement when working plastic laminate.

• Like 2

I use Ace hardware  brand carpet tape about 1-1/2" wide.

Ace sells two types, heavy duty and light duty. The heavy duty is a bit more expensive and was very hard for me to separate (it has a cloth backing) but, the light duty (with a plastic backing) is a bit cheaper and works just fine for me and is a lot easier to get apart.

I use mineral spirits to wipe off any residue or to help separate the pieces if necessary.. 

Rog

A little late in getting this in but I've been using SpecTape double sided for the last couple of years and really like, it also seems to be a little less expensive than a lot of the other double sided tapes I've searched for.  Think I ordered a couple of rolls from Hartville Tool and like others have said, a little goes a long way!  At first glance it doesn't appear to stick all that well but apply a little pressure and it will be difficult to get your template off the work piece.  

http://www.amazon.com/Spectape-ST501-Double-Adhesive-Length/dp/B003ASGL02

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/1275/woodworking-jig-hardware

I've actually had Turner's Tape that didn't want to release from the roll.... but I tend to use the stuff I can get from Woodcraft.  There are plenty of other locations I could get it from, but it's an excuse to shop there, so that's where I head.

Lately, though, I've been looking for something that will leave a space to separate.  (Again, difficulties with the double sided.)  So I've been experimenting with putting paper or card stock between layers.  Don't use newsprint: the ink seems to leave a mark that takes forever to sand off.