Catches in segmented bowl

Nathan Forsythe

Welcome to the forum! Normally answers come more quickly so please be patient for the knowledgable on this forum. I do not turn but know there are guys on YouTube filming this type of turning. I also know that with irregular surfaces and moving blades (or projects) the trick can often be knowing "where" to focus your eye to take light passes.

I'm afraid I don't know much about segment work I suspect it's just a matter of sharp tools and light passes. Imagine that it's like turning a piece of wood with lots of corners. So your hitting wood then air, then wood so you have lots of jumping and other problems. You should also check the grind on your tool it might too steep or the wings on the tool need to swept back because your edges keep hitting in more then one spot and catching. Perhaps if you told us if the tool is gouging, jumping around, snagging up....what exactly keep happens we can help you better.

The tool is gouging. I'm using a bowl gouge with a fingernail grind so there are no corners on the tool to catch. I never thought about the angle of the grind. Would a less steep angle help possibly? Something else I just thought of was when you turn something that has a lot of air or gaps between wood to tool contact I've heard a slightly higher speed helps to keep you from pushing the tool in too fast. Do you agree with this thought or will I make these catches more severe by adding more rpm?

When you are turning with intermittent tool contact (turning air) the tool has a tendency to advance into the gap then take too deep a cut when the solid wood arrives.  You have to develop your technique in feeding the tool to feed parallel to the cut and not put any pressure toward the surface.  A delicate touch is required.

Turning at a faster rate helps because there is less time for the tool to advance into the gap.

• Like 1