My adirondack chair

Mzdadoc

This was listed as a beginner project and boy am I a beginner!!!

I had the greatest time and amazing support by my wife. She even green lighted the Dewalt sliding miter saw when I explained it made things a lot easier.

I've seen so many great projects and look forward to getting to the caliber on here but til then I'm very proud of myself and my sister and bro in law will enjoy the chairs. One down and one to go!

post-15913-0-48049000-1407288033_thumb.j

I'm making a pair for my sister and bro in law. He was giving me guff about my tools and when were they getting chairs. They don't know I made them for them.

My sister wants to paint them I think.

TimWood the tools you see in the back round are from me selling my Harley. But she is a keeper!!! After all the sanding she saw how much dust was created and said "Let's get whatever you need for this dust." I said Ok.

Trading a Harley for power tools. Yep, you got some kind of serious woodworking bug going on there :)

I couldn't do that, ever!  Wait for it..............I already did !   The starter went out on my 1962 panhead harley, so I did some trading!    For those of you unfamiliar with panhead harleys, The Harley Davidson Company did not put an electric starter on untill 1965...... The starter that went out was my right leg and shin>  And I just got too farkin old to stay upright...   Watch out for that old person stuff, it creeps up on you!....

• Like 1

I loved riding as did my wife but living in MN I get about 2 weeks of summer before it starts to snow. Yes indeed I have the WWing bug huge!!!! My wife sees it in me every day! It's all I think about and it keeps my brain active like when I was a Mazda Tech. I forgot how much I loved to problem solve.

Not to pat myself on the back but to honor my wife I set up her patio furniture and umbrella she got from her brother before I unpacked my saw.

I enjoy it more and she supports me huge so the least I can do is get her list done first then I'm free to spends days in the garage.

I'm making a pair for my sister and bro in law. He was giving me guff about my tools and when were they getting chairs. They don't know I made them for them.

My sister wants to paint them I think.

TimWood the tools you see in the back round are from me selling my Harley. But she is a keeper!!! After all the sanding she saw how much dust was created and said "Let's get whatever you need for this dust." I said Ok.

Oooookayyyy,,,,well....the solution is this Oneita cyclone....yeah, I know kind of expensive - not as much as the table saw!!! And then she says those magical words, "Honey, whatever you think..." :)

• Like 1

TimWood I need some direction about dust and sawdust. I got a great deal on Rocklers hanging dust collector which works great for the big stuff from the planer and TS. I need all the small parts for my sander, router table, and an air cleaner cuz my garage is covered. She's not angry but winter is coming and she wants to park in the garage.

"small parts for my sander....." are you talking about hose connections/adaptors to make the dust collector fit (for example) a 2.5" connections? If you are, Rockler has those also and check Woodcraft also. Someone often runs a sale. If I'm off target, please clarify.

Yeah TimWood I meant all the connections for sander, router, and miter saw. I went to Woodcraft over the weekend and picked up what I hope will take care of things for now.

Also finished my 2nd chair this weekend. The one on the right is my latest. Now to get them to my sister.

post-15913-0-64704800-1407768573_thumb.j

The builder will always know the flaws. Another woodworker may be able to spot them...maybe not.  Thing is...you built a beautiful chair and if they could spot the flaws, the quality is still far and above what 99% of most people could do.  Throw your chest out!!! Strut....crow a little!!! :D

This from a guy that wears a shark for a mustache!    He's right though, expand those feathers, ya done good!

• Like 1

Don't compare yourself to what you could have done. Compare the finished piece to what they might have bought. When you look at the rough ends, barely sanded and other flaws in a factory made chair your work will shine !

Having said that you know you can do better on the next one, but don't mention that to either sister !

Thank you everyone! My brother in law couldn't stop complimenting me. I told him I was bringing the 2nd chair Monday. He was floored! He thought I only had time to make one. He and I tease a lot but he's a builder in the construction field and I have to admit his praise meant the most.

• Like 1

Thank you very much!

Aaron as soon as I get back home from by business trip I will be cleaning up the graveyard. LOL

The plans I got from Woodcraft and they were the ones marked beginner. Fitting for me. Also Woodsmith magazine has plans also that I really like that I'm going to make for myself which includes a table.