Intentionally cracking wood

duckkisser

I have been thinking of doing a wood turning and not cutting the wood so the pith has been removed from the block. Then allowing the wood to dry and crack in order to have the crack filled with inlay like this. http://www.woodturnersresource.com/featured%20artist/martinlittleton_903/mesqturq6x65.jpg

Just wondering if there is a way to prevent, direct the cracks and generally how lo control and prevent them from breaking the form. How long does it take to cause the wood to crack. M

As I understand it, cracking is the result of internal stresses already in the wood from how it grew, and from stresses created by drying too fast or unevenly. I know that sealing the end grain of green lumber is supposed to slow the drying process and avoid cracks, so maybe you could exeperiment with sealing just part of the end to try to coax a crack into existence in the desired location. Good luck with that! Just be sure it is done drying before you add the filler, or the wood may move more and spit it back out!

Thought I would rough out a bunch of tree limbs and other non desirable woods on my lathe let them dry for a year come back and turn them true and finish them. Got a bunch of Logs that are too small for making into bowls or boxes but I thought it would be cool to turn them with the piith and stabilize after it cracked.

The naked wood turner did what I'm thinking in this video

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PGk4_9evvSE

Interesting. I think it is going to depend a lot on the type of wood. Some woods will crack overnight. Also on how thick you first turn it. The thinner it is it may distort but not actually crack. Also how wet it was initially. The wetter it is the more likely it will be to crack.

Hey Dan, when I get home tonight I will shoot some pics of an experiment I tried. I seemed to be able to limit a split by waxing after but as soon as I noticed a split. It has only been a week or two so it will be a year or more before it is even close to stable.

thanks Cindy lots of good information.  opened it up looked at it and  said ugggggg information that I have to read :) basically all it says is wood cracks at the pith as the wood dries. and it dries differently with the different types of wood grain. 

• 11 months later...