What to do with your old workbench

ChetlovesMer

Look at this.

I remembered seeing an old workbench with a hutch added on top in an antique shop a while back. I thought I'd do a quick search and look what I found at Pottery Barn. Okay, it's no longer available, but if you don't have a use for an old workbench any more, just build a hutch on top of it and sell it. Looks like you can make enough money on it to finance a new workbench.

By the way, the one I saw in the antique shop was for sale for $2800 and they wanted around $1300 to add the hutch. The bench was clearly old and actually really used. The hutch was "distressed" to match and sort of did match, but you could tell it was a lot more recent.

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/markham-console-bar/

The reclaimed distressed look is a dream come true for furniture retailers.  It seems like since the dawn of time furniture retailers have been looking for ways to upsell pine.  My parents and in laws had rooms full of glazed and speckle painted pine with legs chewed up from vacuum cleaner collisions.