Reinforcement for picture

I create pictures out of seedbeads.  I have to make my own frames in order to get them deep enough so that the beadwork, its backing & the glass will all fit.  Any suggestions on how to reinforce the picture & hold it in the frame since they are fairly heavy when done.  Regular framing nails don't really do the trick.

The finished picture weighs between 2 & 3 pounds.  The frame is 1 1/4" deep and the picture takes up about half of that.

I need to use something that will hold the picture in the frame and not allow it to fall out.  When I said that " framing nails won't work" I was trying to use them in the sides of the frame on the back just to hold the picture in place but I am afraid that they will not hold the weight.

post-15972-0-25925700-1407435163_thumb.j

I use a point gun similar to this:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=52624&cat=1,43293

I can't really imagine that you are going to have a problem with it falling out the back, which I think is your concern.  If you are worried about it just use more points.  I would agree that your frame looks a little thin and other than the corners being an issue it doesn't give you very much to drive a point into to hold it securely.

If your picture weighs 2 or 3 pounds, I would look at the problem more like HOLDING THE FRAME TO THE PICTURE. If you attach something to the back of the picture to hold it to the wall, it is just a matter of keeping the frame attached to the picture to hold it int place.

Rog

I think if you're trying to hold the artwork in the frame and you don't want it permanently mounted, as with glue or something like that, I would use a thin strip of wood and some finish nails to fasten them to the inside of the frame.

Hot melt glue would work and is something that could be removed in the future if needed.

• 2 weeks later...