I think I've got a bug....

Patricio Wise

Hard to say.  I hate to ask but I'd think you'd have noticed if that was there before you cut it or if it appeared later.  The better question is if you found little piles of sawdust near where the ends of the board and the holes were?  A typical answer would be powder-post beetles but there are likely lots of other bugs that could cause the same damage.

I hope it's old trouble that you just didn't notice before hand.  Otherwise I'd spray with a commercial insecticide and put a bag of some sort over it, then let it sit for a short while.

As nearly all the wood I use is recycled as a matter of course I treat it with a anti fungal/anti wet rot/anti wood boring treatment from Everbuild (£20 for 5l) and never had any problems afterward even with bare wood outside. I don't know if it is available in the US but there must be something very similar.

If it is just a couple, what look to be small boards, I would just burn them and hope you don't have any other problems down the road. I have heard horror stories of "bug's" going into hibernation and showing up years later.

I would at a minimum not keep the infected boards near any of my other wood.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I hate bugs in wood.  That is why I kiln dry all of my stock.  I have tried Boracare and other treatments, but I think there is nothing better than cooking.  Especially since the bugs can carry fungus that some insecticide treatments won't affect.  I also don't like the idea of breathing the toxic powder when sanding or planing later.  

Rich