Keepsake Box

tim0625

A couple weeks ago, I VEHEMENTLY disagreed with someone on here about painting wood....I'll admit, I'm not a fan of putting blanket coats of paint on wood because I love grain but with the grand daughters, that probably isn't the best course of action.... so I come needing advice. My teenage grand daughters have very specific color themes in their bedrooms. I need some advice on finishing a keepsake box for each of them. I can build it out of most any wood but what I'm wondering is if there are dyes, tints, or techniques out there where I could make the box 'agree' with and compliment the room colors? Any advice is welcome. I'll list some photos and see what you all come up with. Thanks for the help.

post-2896-0-27066400-1407783702_thumb.jp Tim

post-2896-0-83464300-1407783716_thumb.jp

post-2896-0-02850700-1407783737_thumb.jp

post-2896-0-78955100-1407783758_thumb.jp

post-2896-0-05285800-1407783775_thumb.jp

Shark, grilled with a lemon sauce!  Oh, you meant the boxes.... I like that idea, color and contrast.  Each box should someway be just a little different!  ! spline, 2 splines etc:

YUM on the shark!!!....Laying in bed this morning thinking purple heart box, maple splines and on the inside, a sliding tray, half the size of the box made from 1/4" maple with 6 or 9 squares in it....thought about a PH bottom and maple top with purple heart splines.....maple feet.....maple handles on the sides for carrying.....all thoughts - feedback welcome....but the finish...something clear-ish to be durable but will not dull or hide the purple heart but will make it pop.  What say ye?

....Laying in bed this morning thinking purple heart box, maple splines and on the inside, a sliding tray, half the size of the box made from 1/4" maple with 6 or 9 squares in it....

Hot Damn, so it's not just me. I remember before taking up woodworking, I would lay in bed thinking about the good looking lady cashier at Lowes and now I think about what shelf the Titebond is on at Lowes :)

• Like 1