OCD, perfectionist or the standard

Mzdadoc

Being the beginner I am I just finished my two adirondack chairs for my sister. Seeing as it's all screwed together I found myself then spending a great deal of time looking to improve screw location and symmetry, if you will, so the eye doesn't notice a screw out of place.

With them finished my mind wanders to make screw placement jigs so the screws are always in the same place and perfectly aligned.

To my question........

Is this normal or do I just have too much time on my hands and my mechanic OCD tendencies are coming out?

I don't see anything wrong with it and am wondering if any of you measure/mark lines for perfect screw placement when they show as in my chairs?

It's very normal.  If screws show, they should be as aesthetically pleasing as possible.

You can measure them and then drill, set up a jig for placement, or place the screw holes in your patterns so they're in the same place on each one.

The fact that you notice this and are thinking of ways to improve what you did are positive steps for sure! 

Careful layout of screw locations shows great craftsmanship ! My grandfather taught me to "clock " my screws so they are all either showing an "X" or a cross. This matters most when there are multiple screws showing. If you used templates you can drill a tiny hole and mark with an ice pick.

And yes it's also your OCD showing a bit. But if it's worth doing it's worth doing right !

I'm glad because as my wife looked at my chairs she paused and then said "This is going to bother you isn't it?" She knows me I dwell and I can't let it go until I fix it.

I never even thought of clocking. Being a gear head I've seen more then a few restorations but honestly the ones that stood out the most were the ones where all the screws were clocked. It was a 57 Corvette and it wasn't that perfect in 57.

If you point it out to your clients that the screws are not in line they will think about it for a couple of minutes and then instantly forget. They are just not that bothered.

However if you pointed it out to a fellow woodworker and also mentioned that the clocking is also not quite right then you will be berated forever more. Best keeping quiet  <_<  :P .

I even do it for nails in siding.  I just cut the top board to length, drill holes, and use it to mark the others as they go up.  Plan ahead, and it's not really that much trouble on anything.

I don't point little details like that out, but one lady looked at siding I had put up, not needing caulking, with the nails all perfectly aligned, and spaced the same from the bottom of the board.   Her husband was a carpenter.  She said, "I didn't know ANYONE was capable of doing that!"

Being detail oriented and having OCD are two very different things. 

When you are compelled to repeat an action that you yourself are aware of but can't stop doing, then you may have OCD.  As a mental illness OCD is almost unique in this aspect.   Wanting something to look good isn't OCD. 

I clock my screws too, but im not compelled to.  Locking the door on the other hand, ugh...

I counter sunk the screws and filled them w/ plugs of the same wood.

Yes, but did you clock the screws before hiding them with the plugs?  You may need to remove the plugs, clock the screws, and replace the plugs.  Otherwise, it'll drive you crazy knowing that the screw slots are every which way under those plugs.

• Like 2

Yes, but did you clock the screws before hiding them with the plugs?  You may need to remove the plugs, clock the screws, and replace the plugs.  Otherwise, it'll drive you crazy knowing that the screw slots are every which way under those plugs.

I shant loose another nights sleep nor another days work on these chairs. The bird crap has concealed all of the plugs on the chairs & my analbility has moved on to another project :D

I skipped the OCD phase and went straight to anal. On my chairs, I counter sunk the screws and filled them w/ plugs of the same wood. After sanding the plugs, I noticed that the grain wasn't running right on some of them and I drilled them out and cut new plugs :wacko:   

Yep, been there & done that a few times!

I clock the screws when doing electrical trim out on a remodel, usually don't need to on wood projects since they are not seen.

I do a nice layout the locations, it does reflect well on the perceived quality and craftsmanship. 

When my wife sees me fretting over some detail in my work, she claims that she can hear the "anal sucking sound" from the house!

I have learned to lighten up, my motto has become "learn to discern." This means understand what really matters and what doesn't. 

But then, that is all a personal opinion and you will just have to decide where to draw the line for yourselves;)

Tom - I was going to talk about that in a video. You should see her demonstration of the anal sucking sound. Sometimes she doesn't say anything, she just makes a real taught face and sucks in like she is trying to get air through an itty bitty straw. Then I realize I am just getting too picky about a detail. 

She helps keep me balanced.

• Like 1