Too many boards for Legs?

Wfd55

Hey guys I am a new member this forum.  I was looking for some advice.  I am building some 4' x 4' Hickory tables rustic looking.  For the legs i was figuring they need to be at least 3" x 3" square and chunky the problem is that i can only get 4/4 hickory stock is 4 layers of laminated hickory stock too much?  I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.

post-15998-0-03760700-1407981637_thumb.j

It won't be a problem structurally, but it sho won't be pretty.  Look for some 8/4 at least...it's out there.

-OR-

You can do the old trick like is done on Stickley legs when you're trying to get QS on all four sides...cut a thick veneer and glue it on the laminated sides.  Not ideal, but better than looking at all those glue lines and grain going every which-way.

Look for some 8/4.

Wow you guys are quick. I have checked with a few suppliers near me and for some reason they only have the 4/4 i am going to make a few more calls tomorrow at least 8/4 would be better i am even going to try calling a baseball bat manufacturer close by to see if they have a line on some other stock.  Another idea i had was using another type of wood if i can't find anything.  Any suggestions on a comparable wood?  if not i am leaning towards wdwerker's idea of rabbetng.

I checked Bell Forest for homeboy as soon as he posted...looks like they only have 4/4 in stock.  I can't get anything bigger than 5/4 at my dealer.  Wonder what's up with that?  Maybe they mill the vast majority for flooring and cabinets.  It's weird that 8/4 isn't readily available like most every other species.

http://www.americanwoodworker.com/blogs/techniques/archive/2012/03/21/ws-four-sided-quartersawn-table-legs.aspx

the method i think some people have mentioned is the box method where you cut the wood into 45 degrees and then glue together into a leg is pretty useful and then you can have the wood grain match up and wrap all the way around the leg.  this link should give you and idea even thought its a different type of wood. 

All 3 of my hardwood guys here have the pecan and hickory in the same bins. I'm not sure what the correlation is, maybe same family or something. On the highly figured pecan, you can tell the difference but it's hard to distinguish between the 2 on the straighter grain boards. Don't know if you have pecan up there but you might try.

well apparently that is my entire photo stream.  you have to back track one pic to see the vanity.  feel free to check out all the other crap. my old jeep, shark picture (affectionately known as fluffy) brewing.... as a bunch of adds come in. i will delete the link later.  i didn't know how to get the pic from my phone to the forum except through this.

Thank you all for the advice I did end up finding some 8/4 at a lumber dealer I didn't even know existed.  It is $6.23 bf but being I will still need a seam and I already have the 4/4  I think I am going to try the rabbeted method or the lock miter method I a just not sure I can get the precision i need with the equipment I have to pull it off.

Lock miters are tough even if you have lots of experience. Rabbets can be cut on the tablesaw or a with a router. Dry fit before you glue one up. Have plenty of clamps and cauls on hand. If you have plenty of stock make parts for 5 legs, then You have a spare.

If you either bevel or round over the corners it helps hide the seam.

• Like 1

Steve is dead on!  I'm building a table for a client (covered in another post) where I was doing something I don't do very often and built a few extra legs just so I didn't screw up the good ones.

You can use lesser quality wood to practice on but, it's always best to test drive the car before you buy it!

I checked Bell Forest for homeboy as soon as he posted...looks like they only have 4/4 in stock.  I can't get anything bigger than 5/4 at my dealer.  Wonder what's up with that?  Maybe they mill the vast majority for flooring and cabinets.  It's weird that 8/4 isn't readily available like most every other species.

Just a guess, but hickory is one of those species that does not yield a lot of clear boards.  I wonder if it is mostly sawed 4/4 in order to increase the yield of FAS or select and better grades?  The mill I buy from stocks in 4/4, 6/4 and 8/4 but he does not grade hickory.  He said most people want the rustic look and you just don't get many clear boards anyhow. 

It is a pet peeve of mine in general.   90% of lumber is sold 4/4 and I almost never need 4/4.   I know this is the predominate size for flooring, trim and cabinets but my projects usually require 6/4 and 8/4 stock.  

I know of one place in NJ that stocks 8/4 hickory:

http://www.woodboardsandbeams.com/

It's a bit far from you, but if you really want thicker stock, they often have at least some 6/4 and 8/4. They will sell small quantities to individuals - though they'll be much nicer to you when you make it a point to be super clear about what you want, and can be in and out without too much fuss. As far as the pecan/hickory divide: true hickory is slightly stronger, but pecan is still tough. They come from the same family and are virtually indistinguishable unless you look at end grain under magnification.

I don't know why it's so hard to find. It's not particularly knotty in my experience. I suspect that it's a combination of not being a particularly 'trendy' wood outside of people wanting a rustic look, and being so damned hard to work that most places will just run 4/4 for cabinet and flooring shops and call it a day.

I built some table legs from laminated Hickory, ended up about 3.5" square.  On the sides where you can see the lamination I made a thin laminate by resawing a few 4/4 boards in half.  I glued these to the laminated face, then put a simple chamfer on the corners to hide the transition.  If you take your time and sort the boards well you can hardly tell that they aren't solid stock.

I will say that they ended up being really heavy legs though.  If I had to do it over again I might make a tube out of 4 boards (as suggested above) and fill the top portion with some scrap in order to have more material for tenons to sink into.

Thank you all for your help.  I finished these tables and I did end up going with rabbeted legs.  I can see the seams but I think it goes with the semi rustic look of the rest the tables.  But now i have another dilemma The person I made them for loves them and now wants me to make a 36" round table to match.  These tables have small breadboard ends to help keep them flat.  Do i need something to keep round tables flat or will the apron accomplish this?  If I do need something how would you guys do it.  You guys are the best and reading through other posts I feel like such a newbie.post-15998-0-97350200-1409153860_thumb.jpost-15998-0-11170700-1409154011_thumb.jpost-15998-0-90775100-1409154064_thumb.j

You guys are the best and reading through other posts I feel like such a newbie.

People post about the stuff they know about, and ask questions about the stuff they don't.  Everyone's a newbie about something.  Keep hanging out here and eventually someone will ask about big square legs and you'll say, "I made some for a table and this is what worked for me..."