My amazing wife said go ahead

Mzdadoc

I'm trying to get the last things as far as larger tools to get me by for as long as possible. Thinking like the mechanic I am, I need quality and long life.

What I'm looking to get is a drill press, oscillating spindle sander, and if money allows a jointer. My end goal I should state is cabinets, clocks, and furniture. (Way down the road beginner here)

Throw any suggestions at me I'm not in a hurry.

I agree with Mike. I bought an 8 inch grizzly jointer and absolutely love it (Although I know there are better machines out there) It was such a huge improvement over the jointer I previously had. For me, I barely ever use a drill press. I would probably put that somewhere at the bottom of the list. I don't have a spindle sander, but I always wish I did. I know a lot of people absolutely love the rigid spindle/belt sander and I believe its only $200

Since you're a mechanic, I'll go contrarian: used stationary equipment...

Lots of folks enter woodworking every year, and many more exit... There is plenty of quality gear on the used market and, as a mechanic, you shouldn't have too many problems that you can't solve... I also make this recommendation based on your project goals: Cabinets, clocks and furniture. These will eventually lead you to a fairly full shop and, not knowing your budget, the used market may get you there faster... The third reason I suggest used: every mechanic I know is meticulous (read as anal) about his/her tools... Again, not knowing your budget, you may get the quality you want far more readily on the used market. I know people get passionate on these debates, but there are real differences in quality out there... Not all of them justify the price premium, but... I know everyone can't afford a Snap-on toolset, but I'd rather have a used set from Snap-on than a new set from Husky...

As for which tool first? Well there are plenty of threads discussing the pros/cons of every conceivable procurement hierarchy -- lot's of good advice already out there...

+1 with 4-square.....Buy good used... being a wrench, the mechanic's of them will suit your abilities to repair.  Dimensioning wood will be a priority, so go table saw, jointer, planer then add the lesser tools as needed.  A bandsaw should also be considered, since it can do some of the same things a table saw does.   But flat and straight are going to be the most important, and, by the way.....welcome to the world of sawdust!

Not agreeing or disagreeing with any of the opinions offered.  Just wanted to add my own experience in getting a drill press.  I had a budget and got a bench top model that works fairly well and does most everything I ask.  If I had it to do over again I would've held off a little bit and got a floor standing model, just for the extra depth.  Makes a huge difference when you're cutting mortises in wide planks or in thick table legs.  I've rigged some work-arounds where I swing the table out of the way and then build up from the base with planks to a working height but I would much rather done it the easy way.

This thread is similar to another...

Follow Kev's advice...get the jointer.  8" if possible.  Drill press comes later.  Yes it's great to have it when you need it, but a jointer is used on EVERY. SINGLE. PROJECT.  Often multiple times.  It's the first step in the process of nearly every build, so you'd be wise to make it a priority.

I have a budget bench top drill press, and when I received a floor model drill press, I kept both.  The bench top DP is good performer  and it comes in handy if I need to dedicate one to a specific job.

I saw a couple mentions of the Ridgid OSS/Belt Sander.  I have one and love it.  I think it is one of the best bangs for your buck out there.

<I don't want to buy more tool then I need right now but I'd like to get a great deal and not buy tools I'll replace in six months.>

Of course this is not a unique requirement... Every woodworker would like Altendorf to hold an annual holiday sale on F45s for $99.95, but it ain't going to happen...

I think we may be down to brass tacks --- since everyone else is too polite to ask, I'll be the goat... How much do you want to spend? and How much are you able to spend?

With these two numbers, members can help you zero-in on a procurement strategy... If you say $30K, that's going to lead you down one path... If you say $3K, that's another and if you say $300, then we'll advise you to build decorative boxes with hand tools and/or adopt a different hobby...

• Like 2

Here's some options for you based on your budget - I did 2 as I wasn't sure if you had 220..  

220 set up

Jointer - $845.00

http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-x-72-Jointer-with-Mobile-Base/G0656

Drill Press - $395.00

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Speed-Heavy-Duty-14-Floor-Drill-Press/G7944

Spindle Sander - $129.99

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Oscillating-Spindle-Sander/G0739

Total: $1369.99 Plus tax and shipping

110 set up

Jointer - $785.00

http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-Parallelogram-Jointer/G0604X

Drill Press - $395.00

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Speed-Heavy-Duty-14-Floor-Drill-Press/G7944

Spindle Sander - $129.99

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Oscillating-Spindle-Sander/G0739

Total: $1309.99 Plus tax and shipping 

Well the 220 is for my table saw and air compressor but yes I have 220. And just to clarify deeper here's what I have by means of new, craigslist, and my bro in law.

PM2000

Dewalt 13" planer

3 routers

12" Jet bandsaw

Dewalt 12" SMS

Trying to get the last of the root needed main tools.