My amazing wife said go ahead

Mzdadoc

http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Jointer-with-Parallelogram-Beds/G0490

This is the jointer that I have. I think for the $100 or so dollars, the parallel jointer is a little better option. Not that it makes a HUGE difference, But the indeed/outfeed tables are 4 inches longer than the non parallel jointer you were looking at. I absolute LOVE this jointer. The only thing I have to compare to is a bench top jet, But this is hands down the best tool I own.

I found a great deal on a used Jet jointer. (Craigslist) I bought the Grizzly spindle sander and Jet drill press online. The sander comes to day and the DP comes tomorrow. I just went for the bench top drill press cuz I just couldn't come up with enough projects or valid reasons to get the floor model.

My Jet drill press came yesterday and after dinner spent the 15 minutes and put her together. My only trouble is with the Grizzly spindle sander. I just can't get one sanding sleeve over the rubber insert. Any suggestions? I don't want to force it but more importantly I want to be able to get it off when I need to replace it.

If you bought the 0739 spindle sander, it has the nut at the top of the spindle, which will expand the drum the tighter you make it, locking in the sleeve.  Check your manual and I'm sure you'll see that in the sleeve-changing section.  If you can't get the sleeve on with the drum completely off of the unit, then something might be wrong.  I have a different model Grizzly spindle sander, and my sleeves come off and go back on with ease when the nut is loosened, and they lock on slip-free when the nut is tightened.

Not agreeing or disagreeing with any of the opinions offered. Just wanted to add my own experience in getting a drill press. I had a budget and got a bench top model that works fairly well and does most everything I ask. If I had it to do over again I would've held off a little bit and got a floor standing model, just for the extra depth. Makes a huge difference when you're cutting mortises in wide planks or in thick table legs. I've rigged some work-arounds where I swing the table out of the way and then build up from the base with planks to a working height but I would much rather done it the easy way.

Completely agree! I was "fortunate" that my Home Depot Ryobi bench press motor burned went out on me after a couple of years...and I got a really nice floor standing Rikon for about $300 on Craigslist. I also think it's nice to learn on lower quality tools, so you really appreciate it when you upgrade to better tools.

• Like 1