Cordless Router

Has anyone tried one of those battery operated routers that Ryobi makes? I live in the city and am limited in my tool options.  I'm on a really tight budget, so it's pretty much one of these or one of the 1/4 trim routers from Harbor Freight...

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Hardware-Power-Tools-Woodworking-Tools-Routers/N-5yc1vZc2h2/Ntk-Extended/Ntt-router?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5

I have a couple of cordless tools that have a battery life of three screws.  I have one that has a battery life of eight hours.  It depends on the load you need it to have, the length of time it goes between uses, the length of time between charges, and the amount of time on the charger.

One battery I've resurrected by leaving it on a timed power strip: it's only on for an hour a day.  (Got the tip from Marc's video about the gadget station, but it's elsewhere too.)

For a router, even a trim router, you will be expecting to put a load on the motor right away, and then increasing it as you use it (resistance from the wood.)  I'm not an engineer, but I'd imagine this would suck life of the battery faster than me arriving at a party.  I'd wait for a while before getting a cordless one.  (I'd also wait before getting the trim router from Harbor Freight.)  I understand the need/budget restrictions, as I'm in a similar situation, but if you save even $5 a check, you'd be surprised what you can afford at the end of the year.  Also look for dealers or stores that offer layaway: that's how I purchased a DW 735 planer and Jet benchtop drill press.

I'm going to agree AND disagree with the comments above. Agree, a battery powered router sounds like a real waste of money. More so since it has Ryobi stamped on the side. My experience with Ryobi cordless tools has been somewhat less than stellar. I found that a replacement battery costs more than the entire tool, in many cases.

Disagree on the Harbor Freight comments. It is true that they sell a lot of total crap. It is also true that you aren't going to find anything rivaling Festool quality there. However, if you pay attention to buyer reviews, examine the merchandise before you buy, and get the replacement warranty for anything more expensive than what you are willing to throw away, you can get some perfectly servicable tools for very little cash. The few hand-held power tools I have purchased there are roughly equal to the middle of the road Ryobi stuff that Home Depot sells. Way less expensive, though. If you do go to HF, just be sure to look the tool over before you buy, don't trust that all the accessories are in the box, etc. Also, it helps if you really understand how the tool does its job. If the cheap HF tools lack certain features or adjustments found on the expensive tools, knowing what the tool does ,and why, can help you compensate for those differences.

In the long run, you will spend as much or more buying cheap tools as expensive ones, because you WILL have to replace them more. But at least it lets you start making stuff NOW, not next year.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, that's about what I was thinking.  I've actually got a HF router and SCM back at my shop in PA (I'm living in DC now), but they're back from when they were using the Chicago Electric markings...  Maybe I'll just get in touch with the local guild and see if someone can loan me a decent router for a few days and save up for a new Porter Cable or something.  

Has anyone tried one of those battery operated routers that Ryobi makes? I live in the city and am limited in my tool options.  I'm on a really tight budget, so it's pretty much one of these or one of the 1/4 trim routers from Harbor Freight...

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Hardware-Power-Tools-Woodworking-Tools-Routers/N-5yc1vZc2h2/Ntk-Extended/Ntt-router?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5

I own that router, and most of the entire One+ line. It's a pretty good trim router, but that is all it is and all it was intended to do. Laminate, 1/4" plywood or hardwood is where this is intended to be used, and just for flush trimming. Much more than that and you'll stall the motor. 

For $50, you aren't getting any batteries either. It's a decent enough supplemental router, but not a main router by any means. Borrow a router.

Or, Sears sellls a very decent, very capable entry-level router. The current versions are the 27683 and 27680. I have both models, although mine are several years old and obsolete model numbers. Mine are four and three years old, and have seen extensive use. Everyone I've talked to that has actually used them likes them. The bases use PC-style bushings, soft start and some have lights.

It would probably be slick for super shallow work. With a jig, door hinge and strike sets might be ok. I would not buy the tool just to test that theory...

Your theory is correct. Very shallow mortising it does just fine.

I will say one other thing about this particular tool: it's the loudest tool I own, pound for pound. The planer is louder, but a lot of that is the blower. It screams like a Kawasaki at full bore. If someone wants some opinions about the rest of the line or the batteries, I'll be happy to answer any questions. May want to make a new topic though.

I have one and have only used it for flush cutting tops and backs of ukuleles and guitars. Goes great through thin Spruce and Maple. Does seem loud for its size. My full-size Hitachi is much quieter.

Here is a ukulele back right after trimming yesterday

e3udameg.jpg

For fun here is the back rough cut out and hit with Mineral Spirits.

8uvuseru.jpg

• Like 1

http://lowes.com/pd_231428-11241-7337_?productId=3726236

I actually highly recommend this router, for beginners or people with tiny budgets. It's around $80. It has a lot of features - plunge, depth stop, variable speed, edge guide, collar, and it comes with a table, which is really not useful. Also Lowe's has a decent return/exchange policy.

This is actually the same as the harbor freight chicago electric router.

We've had two in our shop, and we certainly abuse them plenty. I imagine if someone actually used it appropriately, it'd last a while.

Greetings, I know I'm late to the party here.
I had the PC cordless Router for 10 years and it was really handy. It fit into all the bases that the standard router fit so there were tons of options. 90% of the time I used it for either a circle jig, in which the cord can get in the way, or on door projects (the advantage here should be obvious.)

Anyway, I thought it was a great tool, the battery life was fine. I don't think I'd want it as my "only" router, but it was about as handy as pockets on a shirt.

"Why don't I have it anymore?" you ask.

Well, I was using it on a deck building project and a guy saw it and said he'd give me a hundred bucks for it. I said no. He kept eyeing it and eyeing it and finally I was like "Okay, you can have it for $350.00." I was half kidding, half wondering if he'd give me that much for it.

The next thing I know he was writing me a check. I guess they don't make the PC anymore and he really wanted one. I think I only paid 180 for it new and it was 10 years old at the time I sold it. At first I thought I might miss it, but with the advent of the mini routers they are actually nearly as convenient, and actually do other things even better than that old PC cordless.

Disagree on the Harbor Freight comments. It is true that they sell a lot of total crap. It is also true that you aren't going to find anything rivaling Festool quality there. However, if you pay attention to buyer reviews, examine the merchandise before you buy, and get the replacement warranty for anything more expensive than what you are willing to throw away, you can get some perfectly servicable tools for very little cash. The few hand-held power tools I have purchased there are roughly equal to the middle of the road Ryobi stuff that Home Depot sells. Way less expensive, though. If you do go to HF, just be sure to look the tool over before you buy, don't trust that all the accessories are in the box, etc. Also, it helps if you really understand how the tool does its job. If the cheap HF tools lack certain features or adjustments found on the expensive tools, knowing what the tool does ,and why, can help you compensate for those differences.

In the long run, you will spend as much or more buying cheap tools as expensive ones, because you WILL have to replace them more. But at least it lets you start making stuff NOW, not next year.

+1 On the Harbor Freight comments.  Buying from them isn't any different than buying from any other company.  I bought the HF "2hp" dust collector last year.  The HP rating is exaggerated, but I knew that before buying as I researched.  My research also helped me conclude that this dust collector was a great machine for its money.  My experience so far completely agrees with the assessments from other reviewers.  Where HF keeps the cost lower on their tools is their quality control is less than other tool manufacturers.  This means that you are more likely to find a tool that is damaged or has missing parts.  However, that doesn't mean they are all that way, and if you need a tool under a tight budget, this may be a viable option.  The only power tool I own from HF is the DC, but I have bought many other items from them.  Some of served me well, others have ended up in the trash can.  

I'm not saying don't buy it; I'm saying hold off on buying it.  If you really need it, Harbor Freight cannot be beat for their low prices.  Just... know you get what you pay for.  Sometimes it's a great find, other times it is great they have that return policy.

My point was to research other purchase options before feeling pressured into buying the Harbor Freight because of price alone.  For the cost of a tank of gas a week (I get 22 mpg and drive around 1000 miles a week) you can put something on layaway, or set aside that money in a jar (or bank account) and save towards something you don't feel pressured you can afford.  Yes, budgets are tight.  Trust me, I'm well aware of that.  But it can be done, even on a tight budget.