Steamed Cherry

Jerry_in_SD

My local hardwood dealer (TH&H for those living in San Diego), has been selling steamed Cherry as well as the usual stuff. I was told that it accelerates the aging process. I don't particularly care for it. Does not look natural to me. I noted the pallet they got has never been sold out but they have gone through several pallets of the natural stuff since they started carrying steamed. Does not seem to sell well.

Have any of you tried steamed cherry and what did you think of it?

i have not used/seen steamed cherry but I have used both steamed and unsteamed walnut. After using both I can say steaming the walnut really ruins it and I will not buy it again.

One of the reasons for steaming cherry (and also walnut) is to cause the color to disperse into the sap wood. This makes the wood more uniform and to my eye less interesting. I tried a couple of boards awhile ago and made a large mirror frame. I left the frame natural with just some varnish as a finish. Overall, I'm disappointed in the results. The wood doesn't seem to have the vibrancy of unsteamed wood.