Nothing Fancy-Mallet

Tpt life

In the spirit of people sharing their journey to woodworking, I came through the building and remodeling trades. In this, I was fairly power tool specific except for chisels and a block plane. My family's propensity to dumpster dive (college towns are great at graduation time) and inherit used furniture, I needed my hand tool ability to grow. This still left me with some rather large voids. I have given myself some (hopefully) skill building, hand tool only challenges this summer to grow myself. This is the first complete project I will walk away with. post-9382-0-88986100-1408296773_thumb.jp

Picture one is the rough cut material alongside some inspiration for the handle. The material is Massaranduba, which is hard and interlocked enough to surpass my hand plane and sharpening skill. This caused me to scratch my head a bit. I chose a laminated concept that captures the handle as the center of a three layer head.

post-9382-0-42081700-1408297106_thumb.jppost-9382-0-58941800-1408297116_thumb.jp

These pictures are the handle glue up. This project is my first to attempt using a spokeshave. I started well away from the line and feel confident I can get successful results. I think I have an approach now to get flat faces to glue for the head.

post-9382-0-24335100-1408297401_thumb.jp

The last pic for now is my spare room bar bench. It is cluttered with boxes we are sorting from our move almost two years ago. If we have not missed it in two years, I am not worried about getting it dusty:-) School is in so I am moving slowly, but school is in and I need the stress release! More to come...

• 2 weeks later...

post-9382-0-62573900-1409361320_thumb.jp

post-9382-0-67873300-1409361333_thumb.jp

post-9382-0-19534300-1409361345_thumb.jp

Working the curves and preparing for the next glue process. I was thinking of my process in the wrong order. I cut the "tenon" cheeks while the handle stock was still square. Now I think I need the head rough glued to clamp to while I finish contouring the handle. Not setting any speed records but I also have not strangled any students so this is filling its function :-)

I carry two Estwings everywhere I go. They are my favorite all day users. That said, the wooden handle this is modeled after is a fantastic design. It kicks at the end like an axe for mauling framing. It also swells at the neck, giving better control when choking up. The rest is just a visual joke for any who get it :-)