Rebuild old table saw or get a contractor?

morganew

I'm building a little shop at our family cabin - I've been slowly accumulating what I'll need to do little projects, including furniture and cabinetry work.

At the cabin right now is an old Craftsman/King Seeley table saw from the 1950's.  It's in decent shape, and I can spend time, and probably around $150, to make it better.

But the reality is the fence systems on those old saws weren't much to write home about - couple that with the fact that it only spins an 8" blade with a 1/2 arbor, and there are some limiting factors.

Now it does have a great cast iron top, and the motor runs smoothly, with very little runout in the bearings right now.

So here's my question - should I ditch the old King Seeley  (mine looks like this one : http://ct-web2.unh.edu/lee/80-series.htm )?

And if I do, what cheap contractor saw will give me a decent fence that will stay square?

It depends on where are you in life financially and where are you concerning working on/fussing with tools. There have been times for me where $150 just well have been $150,000 so I made do with what I had.  You CAN deal with an 8" blade though most now are 10"...you CAN deal with the arbor with a spacer if using a 10" blade but then does it have the power to spin a 10" blade???  Other thing is, the fence.  Do you enjoy tinkering with tools? Working on tools? Adjusting and readjusting because that's usually a part of 'vintage tools'.  Some old tools are heavy beasts and outperform the new stuff.  Others just needed some engineering improvements and it was the best they had at the time. Personally....and this is subjective, I've rebuilt tools and it's a pain because I wanted to wood work............I didn't sign up to rebuild tools; but I had to because financially, it was where I was.  If it were me???  I'd scrap the idea of the old saw and go to Craigs List with that $150 and find a decent saw with a decent fence and get to the task of making dust.

Ok...so you're not totally dependent on the older saw and you like working on stuff...hey....there are many good fence systems out there.  But, that's your own question to answer....do you like restoring tools right now or making dust?  No wrong answer.  Sometimes I enjoy working on my shop better than building anything - like a new rack to store chisels.  What I enjoy is that I can walk into my shop, look around and say TODAY....I want to [whatever]....the next day, it may be a different answer. My shop is NCIS Gibbs' basement....a place to unwind.  Boat helps too....especially when the fish are biting.

post-2896-0-91988500-1408312727_thumb.jp

Just my humble opinion but, the small arbor and blade size are downsides that only you can decide if you can live with.  Lots of after market fences out there that will fit on your saw.

So, that just leaves "what do YOU want"..

If it's a new saw you want, then your budget and needs/wants come into question.

In the end, it's you that has to live with the decision.

I love the old tools. I have a shop filled with old iron.

That said. Your old saw is nothing to write home about. Its a pretty saw and when they get shined up they are really rather nice to look at. But a modern day contractors saw with a riving knife and dust collection will do a better job and be safer.

When you say 'cheap contractor saw', I assume you mean one with a cast iron top and legs, not a portable jobsite saw. In that case, Ridgid has some nice saws that are easy to find on the used market. I have a TS24241, from the pre-riving knife days. But it is a solid saw, was easy to set up square, and it stays that way. Some folks don't like the front and rear locking fence, but it works great for me. I haven't found kickback to be an issue, but as I said, it is setup up very accurately, and I take all the usual precautions to avoid letting the wood wander from the fence. If you prefer a riving knife, the newer 3000 series Ridgid saws should work for you. These are pretty darn good tools for the money, and easy to find in the $300 range.

I've had one of those old King Seeley 8" saws in my shop, and gave it to a friend.  While I give it high marks for longevity, the table size, blade size, fence, and motor power are all liabilities.  I would not spend much time or money into trying to improve it.  For as little as ~ $100 you'll likely find some good used full size contractor saws that have more upside potential.....Cman 113, Ridgid, Cman 315, Delta, Jet, Grizzly, GI, PM, Ohio, Omega, AFF, Bridgewood, Woodtek, etc.  New ones start at ~ $500.  

m5kz6z4.jpg rigidtablesawts24241.jpg