Full size beds build

Llama

I am working on a client build for two full-size beds. The beds will be made with walnut and cherry. No secondary woods allowed.

The legs will be walnut, with the rest of the bed being cherry.

I will start with a prototype for the legs for client approval this week.

Wood stacked:

2bdb4e55db24d2842a033ffec0b315c2.jpg

510282a636909ebb5ac33b5de85a07f1.jpg

Model made using Autodesk Inventor:

57f9f78ddb538dcdf6fb68eac19e8638.jpg

47d6202de1aa5632475fdc74ddf83d5d.jpg

Thanks for looking. :)

Sam, thanks :) The client showed me a picture that provided the inspiration for this. I simply cleaned up the design and made it more modern.

Byrdie, thanks! :) You'll notice the legs have a flat on the top and bottom of the curve. This is because the beds will be used as bunk beds for the next few years.

Steve, thanks! :) I'm using cherry for the slats.

The design is interesting, would love to see the original photo and how this current design came to fruition. 

Also, what types of joinery will you be incorporating into this build? I assume the rails will be knock down, will the head boards and foot boards be knock down as well, or have integral joinery? 

• Like 1

I hesitate to ask but are you going to have some kind of mating devise so the upper bed doesn't slide off the top of the lower one?  I've seen as simple as an indent in the top of the lower unit that the adjusting foot in the upper fits into.  More solid would be a dowel glued into the top of the lower that fits into a hole in the bottom of the upper.

• Like 2

I hesitate to ask but are you going to have some kind of mating devise so the upper bed doesn't slide off the top of the lower one?  I've seen as simple as an indent in the top of the lower unit that the adjusting foot in the upper fits into.  More solid would be a dowel glued into the top of the lower that fits into a hole in the bottom of the upper.

He just got a domino...

Ya mean it won't float? Perhaps a firm "stay" command may be in order. :)

• Like 1