Full size beds build

Llama

I have a question about the front rail, ignore me if this is just in the picture. It seems that the mattress is sticking out under the front rail. Are you going to drop the front rail to remedy that, or am I missing something completely?

The design is as it will be in real life, almost exactly barring any surprises from the material. The mattress will be seen from the foot board. The dimensions are driven from the material the client had on hand.

The comforter or sheets will show at the footboard, that's kinda stylish now.

I'm not sure if you were serious or joking on this one Steve. :)

In all seriousness though, on a "sleek and modern" design I don't know why in the world you would want that, but it could be remedied by dropping the component a bit lower, or taking out or lessening that bottom curve. Btw, I can tell this is your first project with curves, the damn things are everywhere!  :P

Freddie,

I felt I explained the design choices properly. Maybe more explanation is needed.

The curves are where they are because of client demand. Not because I want them everywhere, or it's my first curved piece. Because both aren't at all true. In all honesty, I took out a few curves because they didn't make sense for the design.

This was also not drawn to be a "sleek and modern" design, it happens that this was the result of my design. It is a design drawn from a rustic piece meant to use the material the client has on hand.

The foot rails cannot be moved down due to the size of the material. There is no need to change this.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Been a while since an update. A few things have changed with the design, but still remains true to my initial vision based on the clients input. Today was a great day! Got the 10.5" cherry boards jointed on a friends 12" Northfield Jointer. What an amazing machine, I'd like to own one just like it one day! I'll add more pictures soon. 

Gluing up the legs. Jointed and planed.

1959222_10205073318260789_56694216652016

Leg glued up. 

10502029_10205073318900805_4436780401169

Another leg... 

10410105_10205073319220813_3363280922875

Showing the contrast of the Cherry and Walnut. 

10712460_865417176822969_132855717704695

• Like 1

Where has this thread been the last four months?  I missed it altogether...

I don't see any images of bunk beds...either I'm stupid or pics aren't loading.

The bed I'm about to finish has a similar look.

In the second sketchup pic it looks like the headboard does not include a stretcher...I would add one to prevent racking.

That's gonna be a sweet bed.  Love the design.

• Like 1