Toddler friendly finish

Dewald Swanepoel

I used some of the off cuts from my recent workbench build to make my son a stacking tower. Much to my delight he totally loves it :) (picture attached)

I'm still deciding whether I should paint it bright colours or whether I should just give it a lick of varnish of sorts. I'm leaning towards the latter just because all of his toys are outrageously bright colours, I think it might be a good idea to give him some wooden toys that actually looks like wood.

Either way, I know these days people get very nervous about the lead content of paint and what nots. I've made him a toy airplane from MDF before and found paint that is specifically lead free. Is there some kind of varnish that is also suitable for kids or is this only a concern with coloured paint?

post-15970-1136085_thumb.jpg

I'm partial to the shellac option with the caveat to make sure it's cured well before turning it loose.

And as mentioned, most finishes, once they've cured, are reasonably safe.  It's all a question of your own cringe factor.

Finally, it's highly unlikely you'll find lead in any modern finishes.  I'm not saying it's impossible, just highly unlikely.

Like I said, not impossible ... 

Funny because I was going to add to my previous post that China is the one place you're still likely to find lead as a component in paint but didn't think I would need to.  Most advanced countries have recognized the risk and phased it out.

Isn't the lead issue pretty much limited to pigmented finishes, such as paint? I've never heard of a clear finish that contains lead.

Yeah, I was also curious about that. I had to ask but I also seem to think that the only lead-related concerns I've ever known people to have related to pigmented paints.

• 1 month later...

It looks like plywood, so I'd be more concerned with what was used to glue the plies together if it's relly getting chewed on a bunch.  Mineral oil will make it look decent and last forever.  I like shellac, but not very durable against spit/water.  Unless you are mixing your own using strong drinkable alcohol I wouldn't bother.  Something like a white blonde lacquer finish might be interesting, but takes a bit of experimentation.