Building a garden gate

TerryMcK

Terry,

Awesome!!!  Stunning!!! True Craftsmanship!!! .....but.......I have some bad news....I dunno....maybe good news??  I guarantee that's the most beautiful gate in the community.  SOMEONE will be asking where did it come from because they will also want one.  You could have another 30 of them to build so figure your price now and don't shortchange yourself.

#2 how about the wife? Did she smile ear to ear?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi Terry,

Sorry to be resurrecting this thread but I was hoping you can offer some advice on these hinges. I'm trying to find something similar here in South Africa but for the life of me I can't seem to find anything like it. Maybe it is because I don't really know what to search for. Is there a specific name for these kinds of hinges perhaps?

Thanks

hingepost.JPG

• 5 years later...

I had to take it back into the shop last year and refinish it. It was covered in rain bounce, dirt that gets thrown up from rain showers, had grown a little in width so occasionally jamming in between posts so needed a 1/4” taking off. I coated it in that Canadian Sansin SDF stuff and it looks ok again now. Horizontal surfaces need recoating yearly I’m finding though. Verticals seem to last much longer.

Yacht varnish like Epifanes is useless in our climate unless you stand there every two weeks with brush full of it so I gave up on that years ago.