Indoor tabletop finish with UV protection?

spltend

Hi there, I want to build a table with a tabletop that is painted with acrylic paint. When finished it will be about 90% covered in paint that I really don't want to fade but still needs to be functional as a coffee table. It's going to be in a room with lots of sunlight so I'm wanting to use something to finish it that has UV protection (unless there is a seperate product available that can be applied to give UV protection). I planned to brush or rub on Behlen Rockhard tabletop finish for other builds, but I believe this won't give the UV protection I need? I had considered using Helmsman outdoor finish but have read it's not a great indoor finish? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Almost all paints end up using the same universal colorant pigments. A lot will depend on the colors you use. I have seen people use automotive paint but it may not behave the same on wood.

I use a pre-catalyzed acrylic water based finish that my supplier can tint to any color I want. Light colors they use a white base but for bright intense colors they tint a clear base and it can take several coats to achieve a solid color like a bright orange.

Sorry but I might not have been very clear with my wording. What I'm doing is painting the tabletop with acrylic paint you'd find at a craft store. Imagine an artist painting on a wood tabletop instead of canvas. So I'm trying to figure out the best way to finish the table to give it UV protection but also similar protection that tabletop varnish would provide. Is there an indoor finish for tabletops that provides UV protection? Or am I going to need two separate products (UV protection coat first, tabletop varnish second)?

Thanks!

I haven't used it but Minwax makes a water based clear exterior Helmsman polyurethane that has UV protection. Says it is good for kitchen and bath countertops as well as exterior.

I would make a test panel with the paints you are using and try it out before I put it on top of your artwork.

Definitely do a test. There is a good chance the clear topcoat won't adhere directly to the acrylic artist's colors, and you will need some sort of barrier coat between them. My Dad is an artist, and I recall him using a clear spray 'fixative' over his acrylics to help them retain their color. I always suspected it was some sort of clear lacquer, but never bothered to check.