Is this a good buy for my 1st thickness planer?

Fricasseekid

So apparently the drive side of the carriage is raised and lowered by this little cracked thing I'm gonna call a "threaded lift lug"

post-6956-14091003003936_thumb.jpg

The "threaded lift lug" is held in place by

this broken "hold down machine screw" which snapped off inside the carriage top.

post-6956-14091004202712_thumb.jpg

What you see there is the broken screw head and the rest of the screw still sitting in the carriage body. Luckily I was able to file some little cross hairs Ito the screw and drill a small hole about 3/16" down into it. Tomorrow I'll go pick up a tiny easy out and order the parts.

I have 30 days to find out if this thing will get back to tip top shape. If it's still junk after 30 days H-Dizzle will take it back.

So I had bought some easy outs and tried to pull the shank of the set screw out of the carriage the other night. Well, the tip of the easy out broke off into the screw shank. Go figure...

Luckily the piece does not need to sit in one direction to perform properly. So I eyeballed a new screw hole right. Next to the former and drilled away. Once I tapped new threads into the hole the new set screw fit perfect. Only now the lifting lug is turned about 10 degrees or so towards the front. I had to trim the edge of a little dust cover but everything worked perfect.

I don't have any precision measuring tools. But it seemed that a 8" board planned was about 1/64" thinner on one end.

I couldn't find any fine adjustments on the machine, so I removed the sprocket from one side of the lift and turned it by one tooth until everything seemed level. To judge the level of the cut I ran two 1" boards through on each far left and right side of the planer and judged the difference of their thickness. I had to jump about 4 teeth on the sprocket until I got a likeness I was happy with.

post-6956-14093748136202_thumb.jpg

The one one the right "might" still be a hair thicker. But the difference is negligible in my book.

This thing planes a pretty good surface as long as I'm cutting a 1/32" or less on harder woods. Anything more and you can feel dips and hills in the board. There is also some very faint stripes that appear across the planes surface on harder woods. They seem fairly consistent so I don't know if it's the cutter blade that need to be upgraded or if they are just dirty? But it's nothing that isn't easily sanded. You can see them but not even feel them.

A piece of curly maple scrap:

post-6956-14093751030134_thumb.jpg