Iwf atlanta experience

Jasahan

It is big. Like, really big. Massive.

We were able to see every booth in two days. We're going for a third day to double check, bit won't be going the fourth day.

Over half the show is either gigantic automated machines, or veneer/laminate/edge banding. Not a whole lot for smaller professional shops. There was a tool company called Steel City that had some decent looking stuff. Saw the sawstop up close, and it is an excellent looking machine. Found a company called CanLak that had some great looking finishes, and some of the most informed and helpful salespeople. Alsl, a spray company donated our nonprofit two spray guns. Woo!

However, I was astonished at the number of salespeople unwilling to talk with me, or fairly clueless about their product, services, or distribution. I explicitly asked people to tell me about their product, and told most people that we were in the process of upgrading our shop.

Found WCA, Woodworkers Career Alliance, which is an accredidation organization, which is interesting for us, as part of what we do is train people in our woodshop.

Also ran into a guy working for a production company in California who is producing a Youtube show called My Dad's Garage, which is a kid's puppet (jim henson style) show about tools, recycling, making stuff, and dad's working with their kids.

Overall, it was informative and we did find some meaningful solutions to some problems. I don't think that the show would be worthwhile for even a serious hobbyist. The show is aimed more at the industry and not so much the craft. However, at $30 for all four days, that's cheaper than most other activities. And Lee Valley/Veritas was there, which was cool.

I echo your impressions.  I've been going to IWF for 30 years and even though this one may seem enormous, it's less than half the size it was 10 years ago when it took up all of the big floors, all the aisles and the Georgia Dome.  There are way fewer exhibitors that would interest the hobbyist or small shop owner.  

Did you make it over to Highland Woodworking?

Nope, totally forgot about that. But not a fan of the atlanta traffic, so probably skipping that.

Also saw CMT orange tools for the first time. They have a tenon cutting router bit that I was happy to find.

Also saw Triton tools for the first time.

It was great for me to talk with finishing companies and get some real info.

I think the best takeaways were getting to see a couple tools in person, finding out about WCA, getting the spray guns donated, and meeting a couple people.

Got to say I was a bit intimidated by the european vendors with their tall skinny salespeople and over-lit hypermodern booths.

While talking to a guy from Chemcraft, got served an espresso which was actually good. That was unexpected.

My feet are tired and I'm happy to head back home. Seriously can't imagine an even bigger show.