Buckthorn candlesticks

Bombarde16

OK, nevermind that I spent nearly three days working on something that could be bought from Pottery Barn for $10.  It's seemed like a rite of passage to make a pair of candlesticks and to get them as close to identical as possible.  Make a template and check often with a pair of calipers.

post-211-0-28332700-1408739045_thumb.jpg

Wood is buckthorn, harvested from a ugly beast that dropped a mess of squishy berries all over our deck every year.  Good riddance, says I, and neat to know that I took these all the way from chainsaw to finish by myself.

Sweet. I like the clean elegant lines. I love Pottery Barn stuff and these would not be out of place in their catalog, but believe it or not they do not have anything like it. Good job matching the pair.

Wonderful you could take a PITA tree and turn it into something really nice. We took down a huge sycamore  a few years ago, it dumped untold debris, twigs, seed balls and dinner plate sized leaves on our deck and house. Beautiful tree, bad location. That was before I was a woodturner and man alive I now wish I had that wood.

indy check out quarter sawn sycamore and you will be even more angry that you didnt save that wood.  it has an inturesting figure to it when you quarter saw it.  looks like lace wood. 

• 2 months later...

Following up some months on now that things are starting to dry out. What started round is now ovoid: The candlestick I measured was 2 15/16" radially but a mere 2 13/16" tangentially. The bases weren't perfectly flat, so I rubbed them on a sheet of sandpaper clamped to a piece of melamine.

dd9d7b9005b1187dabd393c89fb8025c.jpge363c5d2dadbf9dfa3bc5c0246746245.jpg

Fun observation? Yes. Does it prevent them from holding candles and looking pretty? No. Would I turn such pieces from green to finished size again? Heck, yes. It's so much easier to cut and I'm not nearly patient enough to rough candlesticks to shape and then wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk