Jointer questions

Mzdadoc

Work diligently on the set up and make sure everything is properly aligned and worked as intended.  Make sure everything that's supposed to be tight is before you ever apply power to the unit.  Remember it's much easier to take multiple shallow passes than to have to pay for  a hefty repair because you tried to do too much too fast or were impatient.

Most of all, remember to enjoy the process.

Bought a Craigslist Jet jointer. I've spent quite a few hours cleaning, adjusting, and replacing the knives and putting a link belt on it.

I'm not totally happy with all my adjustments yet. When I loosen the lock down for the fence angle I can get it exactly 90 degrees but as soon as I tighten it then it goes off a few thousandths.

Clean off surface grit, and remove any staples, nails, etc before jointing.

It may sound obvious, but when I got my new (used) jointer, a friend came over and I was explaining what each of my tools did.  I grabbed a piece of scrap 2x4, to run through the jointer.  I grabbed a ratty old piece because I wanted to show how the jointer takes an uneven face and makes it nice and straight and clean.  Must have had a big grain of sand or a small pebble or something, because I nicked a blade.  Didn't get a lot of use from that jointer before I had to replace the blades.

I'm guessing a few thousandths but I can see light through my square. I'm going to spend some more time on it tonight while my wife is at work. I know about chipped blades. Just replaced the ones on my planer cuz the previous owner found something hard. I just called that line a sanding guide.......