Delta Jointer (problem?)

Ronnie Boyett

I bought a used Delta "Deluxe Jointer" (#37-190) for a really decent price. The knives were damaged but it came with new replacement blades. I spent some time removing the knives, cleaning the cutter block, replacing knives and then adjusting the knives. I did a pretty good job and was satisfied when I made some test cuts.  At this time it was cutting too much for my preference so I wanted to raise the in-feed table.  I loosened the lock-handle and lifted on the hand lever with no luck. I walked away for mere seconds and the in-feed table slid down to the maximum cut of 1/2 inch. The table will raise some but I now cannot get the table to raise past 1/4 inch cut depth. Anybody have knowledge of this table and why the in-feed table is giving me trouble. I am a rookie but felt very happy with my work on the knives. I am now disappointed because I do not want to make a 1/4 inch cut on my jointer. PLEASE help !!!!

I have the ancient 4" that looks identical except for size. The dovetail ways are tricky once you have something fall out of alignment. I would remove the table and check for shims that may need to be cleared. The 4" ancient Delta does have set screws that have to bd loosened to remove the table. While the table is off, clean and lube the ways. Reinstall and realign. This takes time but is worth it to get the setup dialed in.