Greetings

DocWiseman

Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen,

My parents named me William, my Marines named me Doc and I am a raging saw dust addict. It started innocently enough, early morning trips to the garage to build birdhouses out of scrap my dad had saved, sneaking a peak at Dad’s copies of Wood Magazine, summer camp carving projects, and the occasional tree house. Dad got tired of me “abusing” his tools so he gave me my own set. After he left the active duty Navy and entered the Reserves, he became wood shop teacher in a vocational high school. That meant summers of construction work and time in his custom woodshop. We made tables, custom cabinetry, and small furniture.

I entered college and studied Engineering & Technology. I trained in mechanical drawing and drafting and fell in love with the Art Deco Movement in design. 

Today, I turn pens and other small items, I scroll decorative pieces and boxes, I carve fishing lures, make toys  and puzzles, and have gotten into power carving.

I would really like to get into furniture design and construction but I still have a “Day job” and my “shop” is in the basement and garage. Working around the laundry machines, lawn care equipment, and freezer severely limits the size of my projects.

When I’m not making saw dust, I am the Fire Marshal for a small city in Southeastern New York. I am also very active in three veterans groups and several scale model groups.  

Thanks for looking,

We now return you to your regularly scheduled lives…

Doc

Doc, Welcome to the Forum. And I thought I had the sawdust bug bad! When I was a kid I snuck a few peeks at my Dad's magazines but they weren't woodworking! I am in the fire protection equipment business in Houston, so if you need access to codes or to any manufacturers reps, let me know.

Ken