Spline jig = New Dado Set

woodbutcher74

Last spring I was working on a small box for a gift . I decided to add splines to the mitered corners and built a spline jig. Well some other things came up and it got hot so I never got back to that project until today. Built the lid and everything was going good so I decided to go ahead and cut the splines. Lined it all up and ran the first corner through and BOOM. Sparks and carbide flying all over the place. When I built the jig I had screwed the angled supports to the backer board and had all intentions of removing them after the glue dried. Never leave something like this half done!!! Since I didn't have a rip blade to cut a flat bottom for the spline slot I was using one of the outside blades for my dado set. I was looking for an excuse to upgrade my dado and to get a rip blade but that's not the way I wanted to do it. Anybody need some chippers for a Freud 208. :( Normally I wouldn't share an idiotic move like this, but if it prevents somebody else from pulling a stupid move like this I guess it's worth it. 

• Like 1

Great post and great learning experience!  I try to leave notes on things that I'm not going to get back to for a while.  I'm not always great about it but, I try.

Thanks for sharing and I'm glad it was on a blade that was damaged!

I always carry a ball magnet. It's great for finding screws and nails in drywall and moldings. I roll it over any metal containing piece before it gets cut. If it has to be cut containing metal I change to an old steel blade.

It's also handy to check and see if the nail gun runs out of nails to see the locations missing fasteners .

I bet words as well as sparks and carbide were flying!  You might have expected this while ripping an old timber, but splines in a small box :wacko:  Enjoy your new dado stack :D  

Thanks, Not sure which one I'm going to get. Not sure I want to spend $300 on a Forest. Freud has a nice set up for $200.00. Yeah this is a family friendly site or I would go into more detail. I bet the neighbors got an education.

When I built my spline jig I used screws to hold on the angles as well.  This is exactly the reason I made sure the were in higher than the highest point my blade could cut.  I know me too well.  I also wasn't planning on taking them out after the glue dried.

<Anybody need some chippers for a Freud 208.>

Let's go contrarian...

Keep the chippers and purchase Forrest's box-joint set. The cheeks are the most critical and will be cut by the Forrest blades.... So, for about $125, you get 90% Forrest-quality dado for about $150 less than a full Forrest stack: http://www.forrestblades.com/saw-blades-for-finger-joints-square-cut-box-joints-rabbets-grooves-and-dovetails/.

And always remember, a router plane is the dado's best friend: http://www.lie-nielsen.com/joinery-planes/large-router-planes/

Enjoy.

BTW: if you killed a chipper or two, who cares? I can count on one hand where I needed the full stack...

<Anybody need some chippers for a Freud 208.>

Let's go contrarian...

Keep the chippers and purchase Forrest's box-joint set. The cheeks are the most critical and will be cut by the Forrest blades.... So, for about $125, you get 90% Forrest-quality dado for about $150 less than a full Forrest stack: http://www.forrestblades.com/saw-blades-for-finger-joints-square-cut-box-joints-rabbets-grooves-and-dovetails/.

And always remember, a router plane is the dado's best friend: http://www.lie-nielsen.com/joinery-planes/large-router-planes/

Enjoy.

BTW: if you killed a chipper or two, who cares? I can count on one hand where I needed the full stack...

Great idea. Never thought about that. I use a dado clean up bit in my router. Thanks for the great suggestion.