Stinky woods ?

wdwerker

I was repairing a century old violin a few months back. I used some mineral spirits to take off the top layer of damaged French Polish. Man did that stink  :o​ . 100 years of somebodies ingrained sweaty fluids unleashed all at once. I had to leave the shop for a couple of hours for it to dissipate.

• 2 weeks later...

Ailantha smells like broiling dog vomit when you cut it.  It is a beautiful, tonal wood with nice yellows, creams and browns and smells like hell.  It also had urishiol in the wood, sawdust, etc so you break out like poison ivy after you mill it.  It is a 9 out of 10 as in irritant.  Such a wonderful combination.  I would have used a vomiting icon but there isn't one.  :wacko:

Rich

I've had acrylic smell worse than any wood I chucked into the lathe.  Like I wanted to light the hair in my nostrils on fire so I could get the smell out...

Zebra's a close second for me.  Other than that, I like the dry smell of some lumbers that others here have already mentioned they don't like...so maybe my nose is off kilter.  (Probably from some other scent-removal process I did as a kid.)

Wow, my sniffer must be broken.

I love the smell of Walnut.

I also like Purpleheart.
I have no problem with maple, and kind of like poplar.

I really liked Padauk as well, and I thought the dust was so cool, I saved a half-gallon bag of it.

I did once cut some fiberglass pieces on a lathe and that smell was awful. the stuff machined great, but made me ridiculously itchy afterward. I'll never do that again.

But come to think of it I don't think there has ever been a species of wood that I thought was too stinky.

Having said that I will add that on more than one occasion I had to leave the shop because my own B.O. was becoming intolerable and I needed to shower. So maybe it's all just a matter or perspective.

• Like 1

Ailantha smells like broiling dog vomit when you cut it.  It is a beautiful, tonal wood with nice yellows, creams and browns and smells like hell.  It also had urishiol in the wood, sawdust, etc so you break out like poison ivy after you mill it.  It is a 9 out of 10 as in irritant.  Such a wonderful combination.  I would have used a vomiting icon but there isn't one.  :wacko:

Rich

That sounds awful I will have to stay away from that one.  One big poison ivy log no matter what the results not worth it to me.

I've not used any exotic woods. I agree that usually red oak smells like one of the animal houses at the zoo.

I don't care for the smell of poplar. Reminds me of the '70's (even though I wasn't alive then). But my coworker loves it.

The "mahogany" (have no idea what kind) we have reminds me of bbq.

We once had some wood that filled the shop with the smell of rosemary. That was nice.