Jewelry Box. Krenov Style

mds2

I love the philosophy and style of woodworking that James Krenov brought to the world.  I am inspired every time I read one of his books or see a picture of something he made.  I love the process of picking the perfect piece of wood, arranging it so show its natural beauty, and working wood with my hands. 

I had a small piece of hackberry given to me about a year ago by a sawyer friend and recently I has given a couple hackberry logs.  I had the logs cut into boards and they are currently drying in a solar kiln that I built.  I figured while I was waiting for the new boards to dry I would make something out of the small piece, to see how it worked.

This box was built on the fly with no specific design in mind.  I made design decisions when I came across them, and overall I am happy with how the box turned out.  The leather hinges were a little bit of a challenge, and aren't quite as sturdy as I hoped they'd be.    Also I REALLY wanted to curve the inside of the door, but I do not have a round bottom plane. 

Every bit of this box, with the exception of the hinge screws, was made by hand by me.  It is hackberry, ash, lacewood, and leather.  Finished with Tung Oil Finish and wax.

7hRwtMgl.jpg

OjJqfZel.jpg

o3wXoMgl.jpg

df8hJ7Dl.jpg

peIBRltl.jpg

3z8RkSUl.jpg