Waterfall Table

Coop

I have a 8/4 slab of pecan that I would like to use for the top and front of a waterfall table. I can only think that to make the 45 deg. cut, I would use a circ saw w/ a guide. In the pics I've seen of these tables, there is absolutely no visible joint. Has anyone ever made one of these and how did you make the cut?  

Maybe I'm just slow, but I had to look up "waterfall table".  I presume this is the sort of thing you describe:

waterfall-table--MjkyLTY3OTM2LjE4NzM4Mg=

A circular saw with a guide will certainly do the job.  You'll need something major to reinforce the joint.  Take your pick of any or all of the following:

• Blind dowels
  • Visible splines or dovetail keys
  • A cleat on the inside corner

That is what I had in mind. Since posting this, I measured my saw blade and at 45 deg. I can't make a 2" cut. I may have to take it back to the saw mill I bought it from and have them run it thru their planer as it's too wide to run thru mine

It's a live edge piece that's about 23" wide. Will be used as an end table to match an existing live edge coffee table that does not have the waterfall end. Finishing it by hand never occurred to me. I guess since I don't have a decent hand saw. I have a hole saw and table saw and all saws in between, but not a hand saw.

Build a shooting board at 45 degrees. After you saw and finish the cut with your new handsaw you can perfect the 45 with the shooting board. Dowels , biscuits , dominoes or use a router and cut mortices for loose tenons ( which is what a domino does)

I would practice on scrap before I tackled the slab.

Or find someone with. Festool TS75 to cut it at a 45 for you.

• Like 2

It's a live edge piece that's about 23" wide. Will be used as an end table to match an existing live edge coffee table that does not have the waterfall end. Finishing it by hand never occurred to me. I guess since I don't have a decent hand saw. I have a hole saw and table saw and all saws in between, but not a hand saw.

You don't need a decent hand saw because the saw isn't the last tool to touch the joint.  As Steve points out, a plane is.  A cheap pull saw plus a block plane will get you there.  Moreover and if you're still reticent about finishing by hand, you can make the cut such that the surface needing to be done by hand is on the inside.  Nobody but pets and pests will ever know.

Bigger question still remains:  How do you intend to reinforce the joint once you have it cut?

I have seen shooting boards used in videos but have never actually seen one, much less used one. I will do some research on them. Fortunately, the waterfall edge will only come down a few inches and will not go all the way to the floor, so it will not be supporting any weight, other than it's own. The guy that owns the mill where I bought it has several Festool tools and I will try him on the cut.

Thinking about it, I wonder if I'm the only woodworker without a hand saw <_<  Jagged edge goes down, right?

Even if it only goes down a few inches i think you'd want to reinforce the joint.  The glueup will be endgrain to endgrain, which is the least effective pairing.  If someone bumps the bottom of the waterfall with their knee or even a vacuum cleaner then it has a decent chance of breaking that endgrain glueup unless it's reinforced.

I don't think a block plane will get the job done very well, but a LAJ probably can with some fiddling and a little luck.  I'll disagree with Rob a little and say I probably would worry about the shooting board.  If you don't have really solid hand planing skills, that's gonna be a tough job without a little help.  Those long miters are difficult to execute even though they seem straight forward.

I have seen shooting boards used in videos but have never actually seen one, much less used one. I will do some research on them. Fortunately, the waterfall edge will only come down a few inches and will not go all the way to the floor, so it will not be supporting any weight, other than it's own. The guy that owns the mill where I bought it has several Festool tools and I will try him on the cut.

Thinking about it, I wonder if I'm the only woodworker without a hand saw <_<  Jagged edge goes down, right?

Paul Sellers has a good video on building and using a shooting board.....Not a bad guess, you could only miss it by one... Yup jagged edge down!

• Like 1

I've looked and I find shooting boards used when a board is cut on a 45 diagonally across the board like a picture frame but don't find one being used when the board is cut 90 deg. across at a 45 deg. angle, if that makes sense? I'll keep looking.

And, my planning skills start and stop w/ me having just recently taken my first and only new Woodriver #5 plane out of the box and oohing and aweing over it.

I'll be.... Sure as shootin :)

I can see me making a donkey eared shooting board that will hold a 2" thick x 22" wide board. But I am going to make one for smaller pieces for boxes!!

I think maybe my best bet is to put a 10" blade in my circ saw so that it will go all the way thru the board?

Thanks Terry. The one on this site by "Chris Knight" looks pretty straight and simple. As my wife is going to be out of town for 4 days this weekend, this will give me a good work project. It'll keep me out of trouble :D

Now, as I mentioned above, the only plane I have, other than a cheap block is a #5. That's not the same as a LAJ, is it? 

I'm still at work now and the slab is at home but I'm curious as to the exact thickness.  I appreciate it Shaffer but this will probably be the last time I cut a 45 in a piece this thick. I think I'll save the 300 and put it towards a drum sander later.

The slab has a cathedral pattern in the heartwood and the piece itself is in the same shape. I measured last night and it is 1 7/8" thick, 19" at the widest part, tapering down to a point and 31" long. My thought was to use the widest part and come out approx. 19" to the front and have it extend down approx. 4"-5" from the top. Hopefully I painted this pic w/ some clarity? As the cut at the widest part is pretty much perpendicular to the whole piece, for a reference, I was thinking I could just measure over 9.5" and using a framing square and draw a line down the middle. I never thought of using a sled on my ts. As my blade tilts to the left, I could flip the piece, position it to the left of the blade, clamp it to the sled and run it thru?