Hybrid Work Bench

Coop

Tim, you're right. Prior to finishing the drawer fronts and vise chop. I've set the case w/ drawers into the opening and set the bench top in place without securing them. The bench top will be screwed with lag bolts up thru predrilled holes in the upper cross members. Then I put the top of the drawer case in place also and will not secure it either, for the reason you mentioned. I guesstimate that the whole thing right now weighs close to 250-275 lbs. Due to the small footprint (60" x 30") and the weight, it reminds me of a gal I used to date :unsure:  

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

Wow it looks great I especially like the chop and drawer fronts. Plenty of room under the top to get holdfasts and clamps in and store them too. Fantastic job Ken - have you some more projects planned?

My next project will be a Christmas ornament for Chet's tree.

The "Second Amendment Bench"....so let it be written....so let it be law. It is STELLAR!!! I especially like the Pecan on the front.  The shotgun brass is a nice addition too!  That's definitely a build that will get passed down and talked about....yeah my great granddaddy built this thing waaaay back in 2014.......I wouldn't take $10,000 for it!

• Like 1

WOW! I don't know where to start. I agree with all the great words from all the other posters, but I do have one question. Why two dog holes on the chop but only one row on the bench?

Great job looks to be a well built and beautiful bench.

Thank you much! I appreciate the compliment. The holes in the chop were drilled at the drill press w/ a forstner bit prior to finishing. After attaching the chop to the wise, I used the same bit in a hand held drill and was able to get the first row drilled and noticed that the bit was getting rather warm and set it down to cool. I must have snapped the pics before I finished the second row. Good Eyes :D

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

It was definately an after thought. I needed some plugs for the holes and was going to get a friend to turn me some walnut dowels. I had gone duck hunting the week before and hadn't put my gear up and noticed the 12 ga. shells and gave it a try.

That's killer. Shotgun brass to cover bolt heads is an awesome idea. Now where does one get a 12 gauge forsner bit? =)

I did make some ammo boxes for 9 mm and had to order a 10 mm forstner bit for them to fit in.