Dust Collection with Festool OF 2200 and TS75

AndremG

I'm building my Roubo-style bench (modified from Marc's split-top guild build) and found limitations on two of my current tools - my circular saw and my routers.  The max cut depth on my Porter Cable circlular saw isn't 2" unless the base is directly on the wood (can't use a guide or a track), so it's hard to accurately cut a 4" benchtop without at least a 1/4" of sawing by hand.  My Dewalt DW618 router works fine, but I know that I'm pushing it hard with a hard maple top.  Also, the adjustments on the Dewalt edge guide ... well, they simply suck.  

Anyway, I'm thinking about diving down the Festool rabbit hole and getting an OF 2200 router (probably with a TS 75 to follow shortly).  I know that routers are one of the biggest dust producing offenders, so I'll probably get a package deal with either a CT26 or CT36 collector.  I'm looking for insight (pros/cons, opinions) on dust collection with either these vacs. 

Specifically, ...

1) What really are the differences between these two models?  I've heard that it's just the bag size and cost, so why would someone choose the CT36 over the CT26?.

2) Does the model really make a difference in terms of dust extraction performance? 

3) Will either or both of these work as efficiently if plumbed through a Dusty Deputy, Dust Right, or simlar portable cyclone? 

4) Which model will be more versitile if ... scratch that ... when I move on to other Festool toys (e.g., track saw, Domino, Kapex, sanders)? 

I'm also interested in what people with central cyclone systems do to collect dust from their smaller portable tools?  Run them through the cyclone or use local dust collection like the CT collectors?

Any opinions out there?

I have the 26 that I use with several different Festool tools.  I've never tried a dust deputy or similar with it but, have always really appreciated the dust collection.  I have the OF1400 and the TS 75 and it's always kept up just fine.

OF-2200 has great DC. Both benefit greatly from the D-36 hose (stock with the vac is the "tool" hose D-27).

It's true these have been asked before (not so much here), but then there was a time when every week there was a new "which bandsaw should I buy" thread, every other week a new "which plane should I get next" (without power, they can't post these repeats as quickly).

• Like 1