Stanley #2 and Stanley #3

RichardA

I just aquired one each of a Stanley #2 and #3!  The soles, are for the most part very flat, and will take just a little work to get them correct.  But I need some parts, especially for the #2!  I have done some web research, but was hoping this crew might have some sites or suggestions.   I need a blade and chip breaker/iron, also a knob [it's missing] and a tote [broken, I might try to repair]  !   As you can see the #3 is complete, with just a minor tote problem, that I'll either repair or replace.   I hope someone here knows where there are some inexpensive parts for the #2 !

post-15288-0-52438500-1409180622_thumb.j

post-15288-0-70363500-1409180644_thumb.j

post-15288-0-52775900-1409180675_thumb.j

post-15288-0-76088600-1409180698_thumb.j

post-15288-0-44651500-1409180726_thumb.j

+1 on good transactions with nhplaneparts.

Thank's.... Went there, checked all 25 pages of inventory, Not one single part for a #2... If I needed parts for a 4,5,6, 45,55.. I could build several from scratch.  I tried, I'm still searching.....  I took apart the #2 and lightly cleaned and did a through inspection!   Everything works the way it should, I also found out that the #2c which is what I have is more rare than the #2, Why they would corrugate a plane that's just a hair larger than a block plane defies explaination.   The tote was broken, and screwed and epoxied together, gonna have to find one along with a knob, as well as a blade and cap iron.  Judging from the frog and the frog seat, this plane was made between 1874 and 1902..... I'm kinda tickled with a $25. purchase!

• Like 1

Never seen a #2 in the wild. Easiest route would be make your own knob and buy aftermarket blade and cap iron. That will not improve it's value much. Are you usin' & abusin' or trying to keep it original?

Actually, I'd like to do all the above!   I'd prefer to use and abuse an original, but I'll get as close as I can.....  While researching for parts, I discovered that it was made somewhere between 1874 and 1902.  Based on the  forging of the frog footprint... And oddly enough, I picked up a #3 with the same foot print.  And the 3 only needs a little more sharpening than I did today.... The blade looked like a scrub plane!   I also discovered that as a 2C, it has considerable more value than it's #2 counterpart!   I wish someone could explain to me, how much friction is offset by the corregations on a 7" plane!

For replacement knobs and totes check out http://hardwarecitytools.com/  I had him custom make me a couple totes out of zebrawood and he does excellent work.

Thank's, I'll check him out.   I did find a site called "the tool exchange" that has what I need,  but I just went into hock on some oak that I'm starting a project with, so I'll be holding off on that repair, but will be posting a project journal on a shaker inspired bedroom dresser here in a few days, when I get some wood milled!

• 3 weeks later...

Parts for a #2 are indeed hard to find, and will be expensive when you do find them.  If  you are not going to sell it, but use it, go aftermarket iron and chip breaker and make yourself a new knob and repair the tote.  With original parts, a 2C is worth between $125-175, depending on overall condition, so you done good.

Parts for a #2 are indeed hard to find, and will be expensive when you do find them.  If  you are not going to sell it, but use it, go aftermarket iron and chip breaker and make yourself a new knob and repair the tote.  With original parts, a 2C is worth between $125-175, depending on overall condition, so you done good.

Actually, I found all the parts necessary for less than $100... I tried using it, but my big hands are better suited to a block plane... The #2C is presently on ebay.