HF Dust Collection

Coop

MikeM, You are correct sir. The inlet side is 5", and it makes sense that if the discharge is 5", the inlet should be the same. The wye on mine is

4" x 4". I connected the monster 4" hose to one of the inlets last night w/ the other side capped and there's no comparison to the 2.5" hose. The

4" has 3-4x's the suction. I'm already making plans to make a new base to accommodate the Thein baffle and will order the Wynn filter today. My existing unit is on a ply base w/ some good Rockler casters and I will replace the HF casters w/ the same. Does anyone have plans for the Thein baffle? I've seen them on the net but have yet to find instructions w/ dimensions. Also, for those that have the Wynn filter on their HF, how is it attached?

When I made mine, I used this website (http://www.jpthien.com/cy.htm) and modified the measurements to fit the trashcan I was using.  It was actually pretty darn easy to make.  Only difference is I tossed the metal trashcan lid and just used MDF for the top.

I purchased an HF off Craigslist, and dove into the Thein separator upgrade, which is important for two reasons: it changes your dust collector from a single stage (dust, chips and larger debris goes directly into the impeller - bad idea) to a two-stage, where the chips, debris, any "heavier" stuff drops through the separator into your collection bin/can/barrel and the "fines", the really dangerous dust is sent somewhere.  I read up on that last part (Google dust collection) and was about to give up working wood, but since I live in a rural location, just exhaust outside.  The only filters that will collect the microdust are HEPA and expensive.  The bag filters (per my research) will not, and - to make it worse, if you work in your garage/basement, please do the research before you fill your living space with harmful dust.  The HF dust collector has morphed into what my family calls "Frankenvac" and I will attempt to upload a pic or two.  I modified the "top hat" design (motor on top of the barrel, separator assembly on some sort of frame) because I move mine from location to location and it just seemed way too unstable (that motor is HEAVY!).  These pics show the constant mods I perform on the Frankenvac in a (probably futile) attempt to make it really effective.

post-15644-0-30848000-1409671724_thumb.j

post-15644-0-41066500-1409671967_thumb.j

Correct - by leaving the motor on the wheeled base, and using (hard to find!) 5" hose to the top of the Thein separator, I avoided the top-heavy syndrome.  The output port of the motor has been modified to fit a 6" HVAC flex hose, which will (someday) connect to a 6" pipe outside - right now it goes to the front door.

post-15644-0-17433000-1409796865_thumb.p

post-15644-0-06270400-1409797061_thumb.p

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...