Jewelry Box (Gary Robowski/Marc S.)

wouldwurker

Just finished this jewelry box for an 8th Anniversary present.

Birdseye Maple and Walnut.

Added my own variations from the WW video to fit my skill level and available tools, but for the most part, kept true to the dimensions , technique, joinery, and hardware.

This was a particularly great build, in part due to the wealth of knowledge and generosity of the members of this forum willing to help me out as I stumbled along the way.

My project journal can be found here:

post-15261-14092829364144_thumb.jpg

post-15261-14092828523357_thumb.jpg

post-15261-14092828774099_thumb.jpg

post-15261-14092832791731_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Vinny.  I watched and even commented as you were building this.  I regret to admit this turned out way better than I was expecting.  The combinations of woods types; the placement, size and contrast of the splines: the breadboard ends on the top: the inserts and the finish all add up to a very handsome piece.  This will end up being an heirloom.  Nicely done Sir!

• Like 1

I'm intrigued by the feet.  I'm thinking a long piece of 1"x1" with a 45 degree bevel cut down both of the long sides.....and then cross cut the foot off making the beveled third side but........how did you get the fourth beveled side on it?

Byrdie, this reminds me of other projects I've done where the beginning of the build looked rough...and plain and as I added to it, it began to look like something nicer.....then it evolved into 'nice' but no finish!!! Still plain....man I have to do something because it's nice enough but it just looks plain and dull.....and then you rub the tung oil over the mahogany and the masterpiece beneath shows itself....it was just waiting for the final touch.  Ain't wood cool?

• Like 1

You're right about the long 1x1. I used the router table and a chamfer bit. The first 3 end were easy, but the fourth was tough. I had to ease into it from left to right, and then finish from the other side, right to left.

The grrrripper helped.

I made 7 in total. 4 came out right.

Cut them to size on the ts with a stop block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right about the long 1x1. I used the router table and a chamfer bit. The first 3 end were easy, but the fourth was tough. I had to ease into it from left to right, and then finish from the other side, right to left.

The grrrripper helped.

I made 7 in total. 4 came out right.

Cut them to size on the ts with a stop block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

Router table sounds like a good way to go on the 4th side but it sounds tedious.  Me don't have a gripper.... :( but from what I'm hearing from you and others, it may be a good investment.

Another gripper.....if this one gets "aholt of you"....its over

Dwayne-Johnson-2.jpg

• 1 month later...