Good wood around Atlanta?

wtnhighlander

I'm expecting to make a business trip to the Atlanta area later this fall. Planning to visit Highland Woodworking, just to say I've been there. Can anyone recommend a place ( preferably on the North side, around Alpharetta) where I might pick up a stick or two of something more exotic than red oak or walnut? Where I live, red oak abounds, anything else and the pickings are slim.

The tater is right ! Carleton was a great old guy and Richard ( the current owner) was his right hand man! There is almost no organization to the place but Richard knows what he has and roughly where it is. This is a place that a real craftsman can spend hours drooling over wood you know you want but have no specific project to justify spending the $$, until the day the project pops up! That is when I call Richard and we put together a deal that works for both of us!

Give me a buzz when your in town, my shop is only 10- 15 minutes away !

I went to that place three years ago with my uncle. We were in there for a few hours, and I purchased the woods that we built a new neck for my 7 string guitar. The place is jam packed with wood and veneers. You really have to look or else you'll miss a ton of stuff. Theres a luthier school over there, Atlanta Guitar Works. Every new semester, the school brings the students to that place to pick their materials for the guitars they will be building. 

And how do you figure this is off topic ? Visiting rare wood vendors and tool merchants out of town is hard core craftsman behavior. You should have seen the looks I got in Hawaii when everyone else went to the beach and I went to visit a millwork shop for Koa scraps !

Wrapped it up in cardboard and checked it as an extra bag !