gopro for wood working videos

Mathias of WoodGears has a video he did awhile back about different cameras, picture quality and audio quality.  One of the cameras that came out pretty good in that review was the Nikon CoolPix.  It does both stills and video, has a pretty good zoom, on board audio isn't bad.  The camera can be had at several levels of quality.  I have two - my old one is a 4MP that I got for about $85 and I just got a 10MP version from Amazon for about $185.  There are lots of good accessories like an AC adapter (great for setting the camera up on a tripod and just letting it run without out wasting batteries) and rechargeable as well.  All the videos currently on my YouTube channel were filmed with the 5MP camera and using on board audio.  I don't do any post editing yet but am looking into it.

I had a Nikon Coolpix P510. It was a great still camera but shares some of the problematic issues that most point & shoot cameras have:

-In video mode the focus is constantly hunting

- to resolve the issue you need manual focus which a DSLR has. Camcorders do well at focusing and do not have this issue so much.

-It did not have an external mic jack.

-Dust getting into the lens is an issue on point & shoot cameras as the lens barrel has a pretty good gap around it. This has been a big issue with all of my point & shoot cameras & they only last about 14 months or so in my shop.

With a DSLR there is not the same gap issue around the telescoping lens barrel & it does not retract automatically when camera shuts off. With my DSLR I can wipe thd dust from the extended lens barrel before changing it's position which keeps the dust from getting inside.

With a camcorder, if you put a UV filter on, dust is not an issue with them for the most part (one of benefits listed earlier)

I also purchased a waterproof Panasonic Lumix camera before getting the DSLR. I have had a couple of Panasonic Lumix cameras & they take great photos (but have the problems aforementioned) so I figured the waterproof model would be great, but this is not so. The lens configuration on a waterproof camera does not allow for quality photographs & the color rendition is horrible.

I think any of the point & shoot cameras is a bad way to go as I have gone through my share of them. I will say they take great photos though, all of my published images in woodworking magazines & newspaper print were taken on point & shoot cameras. Durability is the big issue.

As I look back at my videos, what I have made on the Canon HD Camcorders is pretty decent and they have not failed except that I lack manual controls to fine tune white balance, hold exposure, and fine focus points.

The camcorders also would probably be sufficient for the videos except that I have had opportunities arise that require a more professional looking video and still images which cannot be achieved without an investment in better equipment, hence my purchase of the DSLR. Plus, I could have purchased a DSLR for all of the point and shoot cameras that I have gone through due to dust getting in the lens barrel.

If you want easy to shoot, good looking HD video, the camcorders actually do a good job. As I pointed out, the Canon camcorders have the mic jack for better audio and for wider angle shooting I purchased the genuine Canon wide angle adapters, buying anything third market would have resulted in wasted money. As it turns out, Shannon Rogers (Renaissance Woodworker) also uses a Canon HD camcorder with the same Canon wide angle lens attachment with success, in his small shop it is an absolute necessity.

If you want a one camera does it all, going DSLR is a good answer. But there are drawbacks to that, mainly the fact that they are not as easy to just turn on and start shooting video.

One of the biggest issues with DSLR cameras is the focus tends to constantly hunt for a focus point. The Canon 70D (which I have) has greatly improved on that, and it has a face recognition feature that will allow me to walk around in front of the camera and it will always stay focused on my face. I notice that it still hunts slightly and so I actually use it on manual focus most of the time so far. I noticed some focus hunting in my video interview with Brad Bernhart, Episode 35, while in face recognition mode.

If you get a DSLR, and you are using it constantly, you will get proficient at using it and the extra work of setting the controls won't be a big deal. You will be developing that skill just as you do your woodworking skills when working in the shop.

The nice thing about DSLR for video is that many of them have the external mic jack, a flip around screen to use as a monitor, or the ability to plug in an external monitor if you choose. You can easily get a few different lenses to do wide angle, telephoto, or macro shots which work for both video and still shots.

Good luck with your decision.

Guess I deserved the pencil crack :blink:.

Duck, take my advise, don't worry too much about the gear or getting it right at the start. Have fun, make mistakes, keep it human. If people warm to you they will stay, if you end up not being their cup of tea, they won't.

best advise i ever got was buy the last machine first to save money so i figure ill buy the camera ill use for most of my life.  i dont want to have a collection of cameras i want to take photographs. the problem is i have very little bases to go off of i know very little of cameras all the little bits i have told on the post has already helped me figure out what i need for my camera. 

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/nikon-d3200-digital-slr-camera-body-black-factory-refurbished-includes/249613678.html?listingId=353239039&scid=pla_google_BUYDIG&adid=29963&gclid=CjwKEAjwj4ugBRD1x4ST9YHplzMSJACTDms8mtH2c0eTColnLanieD1noqnb11Z6Cq5tzZ_DAzMnJRoC2s3w_wcB

what about this camera has

24 MP

1080 video format

its a nikon d3200 referbished body for 300 then i can buy the lenses i need as i need it.  

what do you guys think for lenses ill need something for the shop videos and for taking pictures of my wood workings.

then lights and backdrop

For the pics, it's more about the light set up than the camera you use. For small items and photos for web use even a good camera phone will work. Make yourself a small light box, go to Home Depot and buy some clamp lamp lights and daylight bulbs (5600K). There are plenty of instructions on how to build one on the net.

http://www.diyphotography.net/how-build-pvc-diy-photo-light-box/

I saw the pics of your dyed turtle box, they have a grayish cast because they are underexposed. Also shoot tighter and fill the frame with the subject.

Depends on the model of the GoPro you get for some of the features.  You can download the app from GoPro so you can stream "live" (minute delay, but acceptable) the footage to your smart phone.  (Check out the tip from Half Inch Shy for what you can do with it...)

I've done some camera stuff for school, using the camcorder the paper has and the GoPro Hero 3 Black I convinced them to buy.  (Still not sure how, but hey, I'll run with it.  Literally.)  You can find some of the video over on my YouTube channel.  Even with the older nature of the camera, I think the footage is still pretty decent.  (Consider that I'm over 100 feet away during these shots.)  I've also worked with the Sony PowerShot camera that the paper acquired, and the video settings on that is great... for short videos.  But it's a memory hog otherwise.  

(My last video, the White Rose one, I had all three cameras, one memory card, and no battery power for the cameras.... that was a fun juggling act.)  If you get the GoPro, get a second back door so you can get audio, too.  Just be careful which door you have on and when.  

Also, the GoPro gets hot.  Really really hot.  As others have recommended, short usage seems to be the best with it.  I've fiddled with the settings, between the fisheye and a close-up, and there's a lot to be said for it.  There's also a lot to be said for working your way up to it.  If you want something that gets that point of view shot, the GoPro is a good camera to use due to its lighter weight and smaller size... but those same qualities also mean it is not always the best camera to use.

Make Magazine (at least one online presence of them) had a plan for a homemade "brownie" light tray.  Don't have the link, but I think you could make the light accessory for under $100.  Not being overly photographically inclined, I'm not certain if this is price compatible or not... but the experience you got from wiring the LEDs could be tapped into for this project as well.

For the pics, it's more about the light set up than the camera you use. For small items and photos for web use even a good camera phone will work. Make yourself a small light box, go to Home Depot and buy some clamp lamp lights and daylight bulbs (5600K). There are plenty of instructions on how to build one on the net.

http://www.diyphotography.net/how-build-pvc-diy-photo-light-box/

I saw the pics of your dyed turtle box, they have a grayish cast because they are underexposed. Also shoot tighter and fill the frame with the subject.

Planing on making a box sometime soon. Maybe when we meet up you could give me some tips on this camera how to work it and how to prevent exposure problems.

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/nikon-d3200-digital-slr-camera-body-black-factory-refurbished-includes/249613678.html?listingId=353239039&scid=pla_google_BUYDIG&adid=29963&gclid=CjwKEAjwj4ugBRD1x4ST9YHplzMSJACTDms8mtH2c0eTColnLanieD1noqnb11Z6Cq5tzZ_DAzMnJRoC2s3w_wcB

what about this camera has

24 MP

1080 video format

its a nikon d3200 referbished body for 300 then i can buy the lenses i need as i need it.  

what do you guys think for lenses ill need something for the shop videos and for taking pictures of my wood workings.

then lights and backdrop

check out this review of the camera, and just be aware dpreview has a tendency to nit pick. You can use the drop down navigation menu to navigate the review.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d3200

I recently shopped for a video camera for workshop use but wasn't looking to spend much as my inexperience is more limiting than any camera I buy. Here are a few I looked at:

Camcorders:
JVC Everio GZ-EX210
JVC Everio GZ-HM40

Cameras: (some of these are 720p, some are 1080p)
Nikon 
S9300
S9200
S8200

Canon
ELPH 110
ELPH 300

ELPH 960SD
ELPH SD780 IS

I ended up buying the JVC HM40 as I happened across a used one for dirt cheap. It's more limited than what you want, only does 1080i, no external mic, but is leagues better than a cell phone and has the flip out screen so I can set up shots while I'm in them. As an avid youtube watcher, I believe it's more important to have 1) interesting content, 2) good lighting, 3) good sound, 4) good editing (in that order); before worrying about anything else. Once you have those covered then worry about going from good to great. I'd rather watch an interesting video in 480p that has the 4 things I mentioned than a boring video in 1080p with amazing production values. That's just me though. 

One tip - no matter what you look to buy there is probably a sample clip on youtube. Those can tell you more than all the spec sheets and reviews combined.

My sister has a canon rebel that I really like. Think I'll save up and buy that In the mean time I'll set up a space and lights to take photos with her camera. I'll make do with that and instead spend the money on new tools. Just use her camera a few times a year for my portfolio.

What I can really use since I want to make larger work is something like this I'm almost to the point of hollowing no further by hand. But I will save up my change when I have enough change I'll use that for camera :)

www.monster-lathe-tools.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=274&category_id=63

As others have said, some cheap halogen lights and a wide role of white craft paper can really make your shots look very professional.

My sister has a canon rebel that I really like. Think I'll save up and buy that In the mean time I'll set up a space and lights to take photos with her camera