Dresser, to match the rest of my bedroom!

RichardA

You've got a real production line going there Richard. Put a larger router on your Christmas wish list and maybe you will be able to do them dados in 1/4" bites.

It's on the list and well needed, however I believe "all" my in laws are conspiring against me. Whenever I'm ready to purchase a tool that costs more than $200, one of them needs something that they can't afford at the moment!  I loan, they some how forget to repay. I could have a 5000 sq ft  shop with top of the line machines with all I've loaned  in laws.....  I must be a soft touch for the family.  Oh well, they're nice folks. They let me have one hell of a wife!

• Like 1

Well, somehow I got delayed in working on this dresser, Dad blamed family, they just keep interfering with things that are less important than them!  Anyhow, I got a little time in the shop this weekend, and got all the dresser drawers cut and dry fitted, without the bottoms, but first I had something that had to be done first.   Do you know what these are?post-15288-0-68400500-1413752071_thumb.jpost-15288-0-40846100-1413752093_thumb.j

I don't know if you see what I see, But I see 40 stopped dados, to fit the bottoms in!   The problem as I see it is, My router is 1 1/2 hp and I'm going to have to remove 1/16th per pass to get to a 3/8th depth.... 6 passes per board times 40 boards equals a lot of work.    Got it done, now just squaring up the dado ends and making the bottoms, dry fitting, breaking it all down for the 6th time and sand for a day or two.   I'm getting old just thinking about it, Wait, I'm already old, so maybe with a little luck I'll get halfheimers and won't remember how much work I already have in this project, and what it's actually for.

Shoot Dude, You've overcome 560 box joints, 40 stopped dados is only half a stogie away :unsure:

• Like 1

Shoot Dude, You've overcome 560 box joints, 40 stopped dados is only half a stogie away :unsure:

Hey, don't call my imported from Nicaragua $1.20 "Cigars" ... stogies!  I'll have you know, I buy them in bulk to save up for a new router!  Normally they would cost  $1.22.   So there!   See, I can be frugal!

Gluing up the bottoms for the drawers today, and as is typical, I underestimated footage... Gotta go see my sawyer this weekend, I came up 20 bd ft short.... Oh well, life sometimes moves at a slower pace than I'd like!

Been working on the drawers for a couple of days, and I'm starting to get a little PO'd about how they are coming together [actually, I'm tired and taking it out on the drawers]  so, I"m taking a short break from them, and I'm getting out the wood for the top, this will change my attitude about drawers [i hope]!

post-15288-0-62719800-1414156298_thumb.j

post-15288-0-62607400-1414156314_thumb.j

Nice boards. You going to joint them with a biscuit jointer or do you have one of them new fangled dominoes?

I hate to say this, but I'm going to use my Fulton #7, and the Dewalt #735 for the finish side.

Is one of those boards birds eye maple? I thought your dresser was red oak.

Now Steve, I'll admit to being old, and ugly, but I'd never admit to being dumb.... Nope all red oak, but one of them is darker red than the 2 wide ones, that I'm gonna have to split, thank's to a big cup!

Those will look sweet when you take the crust off :D

Got the crust off this morning, did the jointing by hand, and it felt good, Pics a little later when I get my breath back... I think it's coming Fedex!

• Like 1

I managed to get the boards for the top jointed and planed yesterday.  Laid them out, I'm not entirely sure of the grain line up yet, but that old #7 did a nice job. I'm not sure I remember what you call a small gap in the center of a jointed edge is, but I left one, and with a clamp on it , it sure does pull that top tight!

Gonna take a couple of days honey-do break, as well as some garden work... Gotta get my onions and garlic in the ground, or the warewolves will be pouncing!

post-15288-0-79419800-1414245959_thumb.j

post-15288-0-40018900-1414245976_thumb.j

post-15288-0-72503900-1414245995_thumb.j

Ahhhh, Smooth! Looks good my friend. Planting onions, cauliflower and asparagus today. Tomatoes better hurry if we're going to have red ones for Thanksgiving. If not, it'll be fried green ones on the table.

Fried green is exceptional... No more tomatoes for me till next spring.....

Yes that spring jointing does work really well. Get them plants in the ground ;)

That's the term my halfzheimers wouldn't allow me to remember,  though I did recall how to do it.... Odd, remember the act, forget the words.   Yeah, those werepuppies have me worried!

Sometimes it pays to stay in bed!  I should have yesterday, but I didn't, and now I'm paying for it with a pinched sciatic nerve, The good side is, I'll have onions and garlic in the spring...  So, limping around this morning, I pulled a bunch of clamps, saw horses, glue, and the wood for the top of the dresser together and clamped'em up.  Even gimpy, I did fairly good, just a little planing to do to get it smooth, then a bunch of finish work!

post-15288-0-11964500-1414435821_thumb.j

post-15288-0-69788600-1414435843_thumb.j

I love to make shrimp with bacon, white wine, garlic, cream, and jalapeno then put it on fried green tomatoes with over easy eggs. A very good meal. Our tomatoes are done for the year hear. I will be starting seeds on the 2/15.

Nice work on the dresser.

I love to make shrimp with bacon, white wine, garlic, cream, and jalapeno then put it on fried green tomatoes with over easy eggs. A very good meal. Our tomatoes are done for the year hear. I will be starting seeds on the 2/15.

Nice work on the dresser.

Chef, any chance of getting this recipe? If so, pm me so as not to hijack this thread, please.