Dresser, to match the rest of my bedroom!

RichardA

Looking good and it looks still warm judging by the glue up. Autumn has arrived here and a lot of leaves on the ground

Morning Terry....Yes it was warm yesterday, nearly 80*, a cold front coming in today, high only 60* lows in the 30's and 40's. We have leaves everywhere, and the color is great. I wanted to get the top glued up while the weather was decent.  That pinched nerve won't let me sleep, so I'll get out in the shop in a few minutes and do some cleaning and re arranging.  I guess I'll have to get back on those drawers later today, They are so irritating, But I like the end result.   More in a day or so!  How's the gate coming?

You think you've got a gimp now, wait till you get that smoothing plane out! That's a bunch of surface

Looking good Dude

Oh, I've got the gimp for sure, and that #4's gonna make it worse, but I'm gonna cheat a bit, and let the top cure for a few days, or a week.... There's still some drawers to finish.... 

Morning Richard. I hope that nerve gets untrapped soon I know they can be very irritating and painful. The gate is currently undergoing several coats of finish. The varnish takes at least 24 hours to dry and even then it hasn't fully cured. I'm lightly hitting it with 320 on a random orbit sander in between coats. It needs 7 coats in all both sides. However I've not quite been able to do both sides at the same time so having to wait until one coat is dry to flip it over. So 7 days finishing ends up as 14. It's too heavy to use painters pyramids or a bed of nails so it's very time consuming! And pictures of paint drying are not very exciting so no more pictures so far.

In the meantime I've been gilding the number sign with gold leaf and highlighting the other signs with black paint. I'll update the build on my thread soon. 

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update on the dresser!  Pinched nerve and all, I did manage to get a little done..... The top took a few days to get done, [ I can't move very well]   With the boss's help we got it inside and I began prepping it for fitting on the dresser and over the corner post's....  I spent 3 days fitting the top and now I have it ready.... I plan on using walnut wedges in the post's to tighten the top to the dresser, and match the walnut lines in the pulls.  This is probably the next to last dry fit, before dis assembly and sanding, sanding and more sanding..

post-15288-0-39566400-1415718426_thumb.j

post-15288-0-62484800-1415718445_thumb.j

post-15288-0-13358000-1415718469_thumb.j

Looking good sir! Didn't realize the post would show thru the top. With the wedges, that's going to look super cool.

Speaking of cool, I was going to tell you to come to Houston where it's warm to get that hitch out of your gitalong, but hell, it's going to get in the low 30's here this week! But, the invite still holds if you want to chance the trek!

• Like 1

Looking good sir! Didn't realize the post would show thru the top. With the wedges, that's going to look super cool.

Speaking of cool, I was going to tell you to come to Houston where it's warm to get that hitch out of your gitalong, but hell, it's going to get in the low 30's here this week! But, the invite still holds if you want to chance the trek!

Preciate the offer.  [intentional misspelling] Low 30's, hell that's going to be shorts and muscle shirt weather. We're going down to the teens for a few days, and that means My 2 beautiful wolves, get to spend some time indoors with the old guy!  I won't have to walk so far to hang out with them!  My doc, told me to double or triple the pills he has me on for that hitch in my getalong. He wasn't sure if the low dose would work, now he knows it won't.  So, up I go on the man made crap!   

I sorta thought that bringing the posts through the dresser top with the walnut wedges, would set a different tone on the so called Amish/Shaker style theft!  Getting those posts and top together took 534 measurements..  That was the one thing I couldn't fix if I screwed it up, without making another top!

I did thru tenons one time and only then did I realize that it has to look good on both sides, or in your case, only where it exits. And that being the top, as Eric says, I bet you had a helluva pucker rate going.

That's why there were 7,421 measurements.... There's a hole in my jeans... Makes it easier to hit the throne!!!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Been awhile, since I added anything to this post.  Been laid up with what may or may not be a damaged nerve... I'll know more the 17th of Dec. Walking is a near impossibility, and I can only get an hour or so spread out over the whole day.  Sucks, worse than gravity!   Anyhow, I've been sanding drawers, and fitting drawers and re sanding drawers and .... well, you know how it goes!   The next move is to sand the case internals, what a PIA that's going to be, especially with the pain free time I have available.  

The drawers are all sanded and adjusted and they all fit the way their supposed to, though each drawer fits only one space and no other!  Put the drawer pulls on so when I stain, they'll get a second coat... I can't fix the top in place yet, with so much work to be done on the interior, sanding staining and finishing.   So It's a slow go... Here's where I am now!

post-15288-0-92483200-1417364122_thumb.j

Thank's guys, I appreciate the concern..... Something will work out.. Damn Doc says the knife may be in order.... In the meantime, Pain meds and Jack Daniel are working together, but not as well as I'd like!  Guess I'll have to double the Jack!

Eric, I've got all the drawers down to 220 grit, is there a place I'm to old to see?  Went back and rechecked.... Looks like planer marks..... Thank's Eric!

Tennessee walnut! To go along with the Tennessee Red Oak! Tryin to keep it native. Also slipped in 1 hundred year old piece of oak, to keep my idea of old an new working together!

Nice! The oak in the pulls is such a different color from the drawer fronts that I took it to be a different species. But that's oak for you!

Nice! The oak in the pulls is such a different color from the drawer fronts that I took it to be a different species. But that's oak for you!

The pulls have one coat of stain, the drawer fronts don't have any stain right now... I'm holding of till I figure out something that Eric pointed out. Once that's straightened out I'll be staining the rest of the dresser.   Having used poplar for the drawer bottoms and back, I have to tape them all off to keep the stain off the poplar.

Tennessee walnut!  To go along with the Tennessee Red Oak!   Tryin to keep it  native.   Also slipped in 1 hundred year old piece of oak, to keep my idea of old an new working together!

To also go with the Tennessee Jack D. You do like to keep it local :D

Richard, this project is looking damn good. Probably not too easy to put that pain aside and concentrate on the woodworking though! Put a chunk of old shoe leather between your teeth to grind on it. Probably won't make the pain go away but the taste will probably take your mind off of it :wacko:

• Like 2