Done!!!

Greetings everyone!

I just got my chairs back from the upholsterer and I think they look fantastic. I'm still waiting on the ottomans, and I'll send the pics when I get them in about a week. In one of the pictures you can see the Greene and Greene blanket chest from last year's guild build. The pieces really compliment each other, I think. A bit about my project:

- Species: African Mahogany  

- Finish: General Finishes Dye Stain (3:2 mixture of Medium Brown and Cinnamon), with Qualaq lacquer finish.

- Webbing: Jute webbing with trimmed dust cover

- Seat: Natural leather hide with batting-covered foam cushion core

- Back: Natural leather hide with polyester fill, stitched vertically to hold shape and not sag, leather piping around

If you are interested in leather, it took 3 full hides to cover both chairs and ottomans. If you go the leather route, you will need a small portion to cover in fabric (I chose the edge with the zipper) which will allow the leather to breathe. Otherwise, leather can become like a balloon and won't have any give. I wanted to sink deep into the back cushion, which was the reason for the poly fill (the upholsterer said there is no difference to the feel between poly and down when covered in leather. The only significant deviation I took in the project was with the through tenons. Even though they fit well in the mortise sockets, one tenon was short - just flush with the arm. I thought about making a thin piece to apply on top to look like a through tenon, but I finally opted to make them all flush. I may still go with the other idea if the purist in me prevails. But I do like that I can place a cup of coffee there...with a coaster, of course! :-)   

Special thanks to you Marc on another awesome guild build, to Aaron for another fantastic set of plans, and to all of you whose postings helped me bring this project to life. I welcome your thoughts and feedback.

All the best,

Allen

post-6273-0-54984700-1409432231_thumb.jp

post-6273-0-02093700-1409432240_thumb.jp

post-6273-0-11565800-1409432249_thumb.jp

post-6273-0-34051600-1409432258_thumb.jp

post-6273-0-88861300-1409432265_thumb.jp

post-6273-0-17199100-1409432280_thumb.jp

For 2 chairs and ottomans, I got 3 hides from San Antonio Upholstery for $109 each. The upholstery was done by Mangold Upholstery in San Antonio, a great little family business for $650 on top of that, which is not bad at all. Including the wood and other supplies, I estimate that I have $1700 in this build, which is about half of what one chair/ottoman set of this quality cost retail from Stickley. I have no plans to sell, but it's nice knowing what a comparable set would run.