replacements before retirement

BonLee

I am within 10 years of retirement. I would like to redo my hobby shop now while I still have a bit of financial flexibility. I would like to replace my "starter" machines that I have fixed and have made do (for more years than I can hardly believe I did) instead of replacing them earlier. They are all pretty beat up and a few just cannot be fixed any more. I have a chance to buy a friend's deceased father's estate machines that would include a cabinet table saw with extension, router table with lift, jointer, drill press, vacuum system, bench top disc sander, and a few misc items (hoses, connecters, blades, filters, etc.). They are Powermatic except Jet vacuum system (which I believe is one in the same company anyway). All come with wheeled stands. All have been hardly used and meticulously cared for. I have inspected and tried them all and they really are like new (not even any chipped paint). All are anywhere from 7 to 10 years old. New prices for close to matching items (not the misc items) total close to $6800. My friend, her family, and the family's estate lawyer have put it at $3245 for everything. It's been too many years since I have bought anything substantial, and have not paid attention to places like Craigs List and Ebay.

Am I a fool to pass or a fool to buy?

And yes I am a new registration... you have no idea how many times "wood whisperer" was mentioned in just about every place I looked online. I figured this would be the place to get an honest second (or 3rd or 4th or...) opinion.

Really need some more details but to me it sounds high. You are getting 3 machines and a dust collector for over 3k. Now if this is a complete shop with dozens of clamps, hundreds of bard feet of lumber and a full suite of plans and other hand tools it could still be worth it. Otherwise you are way high.

A 10" powermatic cabinet saw can be picked up used all day long online for 800 or less and occasionally from 400 - 500 if you get a really good deal. Router table plus lift its a 200 to 400 dollar item used. A drill press is 150 to 300 used and a 6" jointer is a 200 to 400 dollar item used. An 8" would be 350 to 650 used. A benchtop sander can be bought brand new for less then 200.

This all based on my local prices in

Maryland and will very a bit depending where in the country you are. Additionally, any used machine you buy from a stranger you will need to check over very carefully to make sure they did proper maintenance and replace bearings etc. You are paying a premium to get these machines as a set and from someone who didn't use them much.

Wow! Go for it! The general goal is to pay 50% of the new price for used and you are doing better than that. I have found that goal is not easy to meet especially for things in mint condition. Example, I just looked on Craigslist and found a 6" Powermatic jointer for $800. New pricing is $1020 and the used one is 60 miles away. Good deals can be found but you will only be looking for what you are already offered. And you know the great condition this equipment is in. No worries.

You will love having quality equipment and can stop spending your shop time fixing things! Welcome to the forum!

BonLee,

First Post...welcome to the forum. +1 on Cindy...general rule of thumb is 50% AND you're getting all the tools in one place where you know the man took care of everything probably in the same meticulous way AND they're good tools.  You're wanting to upgrade, they're wanting to sell....all you need is a bow tied around it.  You'd spend hundreds of hours scouring craigs list to find this combination of tools and then not know what you're really buying at 50% of the new price or more.....this my friend is a gift dropped in your lap.  Not to mention it's one your friend's father. Win win for everyone. Then....you could make a craigs list package deal to sell what you already have....make it a steal and move it out of your way...quickly......boom....done....and then go to making dust with your new toys.......riding toward the sunset......yeah baby.....

Tim

• Like 2

I want to give a huge thank you to all! Everyone has given me points to think about and consider. Wth that said, before I go through the process of affirming this purchase, thanks to you all, I have done a bit more investigation of all of this equipment. It was used for hobby purposes. No production for craft shows, business, etc., just hobby. Which means this particular person made a few quilt frames, a lot of degree/graduation frames for grandchildren, a lot of family photo frames, bookshelves, a couple of rockers, a few cabinets, and a set of deck stairs. I went through family photos of what this person had made over the 7-10 years he owned this equipment, doing exactly what I plan to do (or have done).

I had no intention of buying this much equipment all at one time.Things rarely do fall into our laps, but stranger things do happen. To fork out 3200+ cash or if I should take a chance elsewhere down the road... either way is a gamble and I do not consider myself a gambler, although I have been known to enjoy a hunt now and again, but as I grew up being trained to be a farmer, I am a gambler. (I recently reminised on summer-fallowing and wheat/barley harvesting with one of my brothers.) We fix it until they die! He reminded me that I have stuff that is dying/dead after these many years, and maybe "it's about time!" Machines do not grow on trees and neither does money. You have all helped me put this into perspective.I have read profiles and previous posts of many contributors. This was the right place to be. Not only talented, but helping out a fellow woodworker to put a purchase this large into perspective is great! I have made my intentions known to the family and their lawyer, and we will see if my bid holds. I will let you know

"edits have been for spelling and punctuation, and accept my apologies.... yeah baby, done!   (not yet, but soon, hopefully). (Mike Myers referenece appreciated!)

edit again.... Sorry, excitement abounds (and so do spelling and punctuation errors and I give up, I am not worthy). My friend reminded me that the family lawyer will not be available because of the Labor Day holiday until Tuesday (ooops). I will have a picnic lunch/dinner with them Monday and formally place my bid Tuesday morning. I am wishing I had had a chance to know their father. He sounds like one of those hidden gems-type of people.

Yes, Jet and Powermatic are owned by the same company.  Sometimes the quality is the same, sometimes Jet is just a little below Powermatic.  No offense to them, as I deliberately purchased a benchtop drill press from Jet because I couldn't find a Powermatic one that I liked and fit my space.  (I'd like to think that the Jet brand is billed as the affordable Powermatic, but that just might be my own opinion talking.)

not knowing the sizes or the power of these units, I can't say if this is a fantastic bargain or a good deal.  I can say, however, this is a deal you should appreciate and complete before it gets away.  You might need to take some time shipping it over to you, but that's not an issue.  One of the nicer things about this deal is you will save some funds down the road by reducing your rebuild/maintenance costs.  I'm not saying never, but not as frequently.

PLus, as mentioned before, the estate gets resolved, the family gets funds, and people get happier.  (well, less sad, anyway.)  If you feel guilty about it, you could always offer to do a frame or few for the family around the holidays, just to continue tradition.

All of my bids were accepted, except for the jointer, and I put in a bid for the homemade Rubo bench with all of the bells and whistles for the fun of it. I was way outbid on that (practically the price of a used car!). Not too heartbroken as it is going to the estate of a terrific family. I do not have to build a sled, they gave me the one their father made, said it "went with the table." Bonus! My work space is not heated, so projects will be planned over the winter to be ready for spring and warmer weather. However, I will have a busy fall planning my work space. I have seen many tours and photos from here and have gotten some great ideas. Again, I appreciate all of the advice I have received from everyone. The family is doing quite well through all of this. An amazing family really. Time marches on and this all makes me remember that life is just too short.