Sawyer says "Hello" from SW Michigan

reberly

Hello all,

I just joined WoodTalk and have already found posters to be friendly.  I build boats and occasionally furniture, but I mostly run my sawmills and kilns.  Every hour I spend in the shop is an hour I feel I should be out harvesting, pruning, or transplanting one of our trees.  I manage a Green Tag Certified Forest when I am not teaching.  Nice to meet all of you.

Rich 

Hi Mike,

I have woods in Buchanan and Dowagiac.  I work in New Buffalo.  I only stock about 100 slabs and a few thousand bdft of lumber as I mostly mill and kiln to request.  Milling to request produces exact project kits with book matched and color matched numbered boards.  What kind of furniture do you make?

Rich

Hi wtnhighlander,

Appreciate the welcome.  However, I am no way a professional sawyer.  It is completely a hobby gone astray.  I have visited with professional sawyers and I an in no way as efficient, but thanks for the vote of confidence.

Rich

Hi Mike,

I have woods in Buchanan and Dowagiac.  I work in New Buffalo.  I only stock about 100 slabs and a few thousand bdft of lumber as I mostly mill and kiln to request.  Milling to request produces exact project kits with book matched and color matched numbered boards.  What kind of furniture do you make?

Rich

Hi Rich -  I build furniture mostly for my home.   I have a long list of what I need to build:  2 coffee tables, side tables, picture frames, a bathroom vanity, a dining table, a fireplace mantel.  You get the idea.  I don't do a lot of cabinet or case work, mostly because it is not fun for me.   In terms of species, I really like to find and use "non-commercial" species like Elm, Black or Honey Locust, Butternut or Sassafras in addition to white oak, walnut and figured maple. 

I will there around the 4th of October loaded up.

Do let us know the details about this Chicago trip.  I would also be interested in seeing a sampling of your selections.  I'm not sure if I'll have any specific needs at that time, but I most certainly will going forward.