Giant torsion box Console Table

wouldwurker

So close to the finish line (no pun intended).

Presumably sticking with oil for the finish, as was the primer and paint. 

My only experience with oil based poly/wiping varnish is GF arm-r-seal & GF toymakers (i.e. seal-a-cell)...which I can do well.  Not sure if it will stick to the paint surface though?

Regardless, I'm not bad with that particular wipe on finish technique if there's a better suited product for this particular application. 

No HVLP

Any recommendations for my top coat(s) and/or cure time for the paint?  Thanks gang

--VJ

• 4 months later...

Yep...this thing...that I started in April 2014...still in progress

I was unhappy with the nap that the foam paint roller left on the table. It felt like painted drywall. Plus, you could see all the uneven areas once that glossy black paint was on.

So I sanded the heck out of it with the Festool half sheet. So many high and low spots...all worked out. That half sheet really shines when you need to keep edges sharp and flat.

Took the advice of someone (forgot who) and picked up some Penetrol for the oil based paint.

fedc2184991c45b52749829f3f7b57dd.jpg

I also applied it, per some forum advice with the 'roll and brush' method...roll on, even out with a high quality bristle brush.

Night and Day. Between the penetrol and the foam and brush method, the paint went from this:

344bd002d6ed96e0e78b8c152878ee44.jpg

To this

5a43d0dc214b08728a13e4a7da25b03b.jpg

One more coat and we should be good on the paint.

• 4 weeks later...

2 coats of oil primer, at least 9 coats of oil based paint, Penetrol, one full sanding back to the mdf after being unhappy with the stipple, one final coat...followed with cat paw prints the next morning...and its FINALLY time for finish.

Shooting for 4-5 coats today. Been cured about 2 weeks, so I have no worries of the waterborne over the oil paint.

Let's finish this monster.

fc9640195b5fd181cd37043001c93560.jpg

62bd5d2b1bb19f31dd9c487fde9ebbf3.jpg

• Like 1