turning sugestions.....challenge me

duckkisser

Deep hollow vessel with a narrow neck comes to mind. Turn in two halves split 1/3 and 2/3. Glue back together with a tenon at the joint. Embellish at the joint with carving, burning, inlay . . . Here are some ideas I found online of what I am talking about. They are in the size range of your piece of wood.

post-5342-0-09142300-1409573049_thumb.jp

post-5342-0-69682000-1409573129_thumb.jp

Here are a couple of small vessels I made recently using that technique.

post-5342-0-78492800-1409573596_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Alright Duckalicious....you threw it out open ended....Cindy has thrown down the gauntlet and now the question is........are you up to the challenge? I think so!....Get jiggy with it and keep us posted with photos!  I love walnut anyway so whatever you come up with will be beautiful.

I like cindy idea only problem I have with hollow vessels is what to do with them after you make it. Can't use for flowers and yet they are a vase. But I do have some ideas for doing a segment form to go with the walnut.

Been thinking of doing a lamp so I might incorporate the resin inlay In the lamp so it lights up. Anyone else have any ideas?

I like cindy idea only problem I have with hollow vessels is what to do with them after you make it. Can't use for flowers and yet they are a vase. But I do have some ideas for doing a segment form to go with the walnut.

Been thinking of doing a lamp so I might incorporate the resin inlay In the lamp so it lights up. Anyone else have any ideas?

It is stand-alone art to be displayed for its own right just like paintings and carvings are art, not things that are used.

• 2 weeks later...

That could work as a cremation urn, just pour Grandma in with a funnel !

Interesting original design ! Shows your creativity and style.

actuly been thinking that maybe i should make some urns and go talk to a funeral home maybe they would buy them for there customers. 

Think of any other route than the funeral home. Those folks want a 4x return on investment. If you want $200 for your turning they are gonna mark it up to $800 ! And they are usually some of the most conservative people possible. Your unique style would be best appreciated by figuring out a way to sell direct to families that are trying to avoid the traditional path.