Pore Filler; Bottom Panel?

jhoward967

• 4 months later...

Use a pore filler and sand... Repeat as needed untill all the pores are filled. Then use Danish oil or whatever finish you like. For a gloss use varnish , lacquer or some sort of film building finish and sand between coats

Oil and sanding is not consistent to fill pores for a gloss finish.

I remember that top. Fantastic!

The reason for the 100 questions is that I'm about to start a box made of walnut to hold an old Bible that belonged to my wife's parents and wanted the finish to look nice.

So, for walnut, I could probably eliminate the pour filling if I used 3-4 coats of something like Arm-R-Seal?

Sorry OP for the hijack.

So, for walnut, I could probably eliminate the pour filling if I used 3-4 coats of something like Arm-R-Seal?

Pic worth a thousand words...sitting on my desk

Walnut finely sanded with 3 coats of arm r seal gloss. Pores were not filled.

Pic from a distance in low light.

a8760a6dad3cd0d69816971117772934.jpg

Now note up close where the T-8 light catches it. 390d8cc48a1e09ae507b43eff2cb4fd6.jpg

a33234927a3648d3f075e491c04193df.jpg

Coop - Check out Marc's free site video on "rubbing out a high gloss finish".  Step by step pore filling, and I believe an excerpt directly from the humidor guild build.

Better yet - buy the humidor guild build!

Thanks Vinn, I'll watch it tonight!

Been a guild member since right before building the G & G Blanket Chest but didn't build the humidor since my wife gave me one a couple of years prior.

K - to be safe, make a test board and decide if you like the look.  If you are not going to fill the pores, use a satin finish and put it on sparingly.  

Mike, I think I will stick with just the ars. I've used it for a good while, every since Eric and Mel became sales reps for them :D

As the walnut box will have a maple inlaid cross, I'll wait and try the pore fill/sanding method with a solid color.