Sharpening Options

jg9522

After researching the technique of sharpening, I am wanting to purchase a sharpening stone or two. However, I am totally confused about the different sharpening media that is available.

I believe that I'm aware of all the options, oilstones, waterstones, diamond plates, Japanese waterstones, glass stones, and ceramic stones, but I am unsure of how they compare to each other in service and I am confused by the grit comparisons of say, diamond to waterstone, or Japanese waterstones to ceramic stones, etc., etc., etc.

it seems to me some manufactures list their grits as course, medium fine, extra fine, and extra extra fine. Wow!!

I have an old small norton oilstone oilstone that I used for knives and small chisels, before I started woodworking. Then I bought an 800/4000 grit combination stone from Rockler for my chisels and plane irons. I like it but I want to take the next step up. I think that is a large jump from 800 to 4000.

I don't know whether to go with diamond or ceramic or both, to round out my sharpening system. I was thinking maybe a 2000gr (if they make that grit), and a 6000, and an 8000. I don't think I want another combination stone. I also have read about nagura stones and diamond paste, and leather strops. How far should I take this?

I have gotten good results from the 800/4000 gr stone that I have, and I am totally amazed at what a sharp bladed tool can do and it being such a pleasure to use. But I still see scratches on the bevels and backs of some of my tools, that I believe comes from skipping grits.

Sorry for rambling on and on.

What do you guys and gals think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk