Router table as an out feed table?

Chuck Melton

In this edition of Small Shop Problems: would I be an idiot if I used my router table as an out feed table?

I know a lot of people put them in TS wings, so I can't imagine that using a free standing router table as my out feed table would be the worst thing in the world, but I want to see if there are issues that I might. It think about as a novice woodworker. It would also save me from finishing the rebuild of my out feed table, which I honestly see as a big plus.

I just picked up a pretty awesome CL tool score (Freud 300VCE, aluminum plate, a dozen Freud bits,in a well built table for $140) and it's about 3/4 of an inch short of being the perfect height for my TS. I have one other spot I could put it against a wall, but it would be in the way of my electrical panel.

Any feedback would be appreciated, especially if there are issues I am not thinking of.

To each his own in his shop!  It's your shop and your money!  Here's the issues that I see with the idea.

1.  Router table fence - You'll have to find a way to mount it (doable) and it will probably be in the way when using the TS.  This would only be an issue if you had a particular setting you need to keep.

2.  Router bits - Again, would be in the way using the TS which would only be an issue if you had a particular setting you needed to keep

I had one set up on the wing of my TS and found myself having these issues.  If space is a major limitation, these may be issues you can work around.  Only you can make that decision.

• Like 1

1.  Router table fence - You'll have to find a way to mount it (doable) and it will probably be in the way when using the TS.  This would only be an issue if you had a particular setting you need to keep.

2.  Router bits - Again, would be in the way using the TS which would only be an issue if you had a particular setting you needed to keep.

Precisely the sort if feedback I am looking for. I am only used to using a crappy bench top table, which I go out of my way to avoid using.

Thanks man!

• Like 1

The only things an out feed table needs to be is stable, a hair lower then the saw table, and be set far enough back or have grooves so a sled or miter bar doesn't hit an edge. As noted above, putting the fence on and off might become a pain, but in a small shop you need to put up with things like that. If the router table is on a mobile base, be sure you can lock it down-you don't want it shifting in the middle of a cut.

Router tables are of many different shapes and sizes, and some are more suited to the task than others. But any reasonably flat surface that's just below the deck of the saw will work. If you're a small shop like I am, you'll find that any surface gets stuff put on it and will have to be removed to use it.

I like having my machines all around the same height. This let's me use everything as an out-feed or support table. My router table ,rolling workbench , kreg table and RAS are all the same height as my tablesaws.

It's nice to have that support if you need it. I think we all make sacrifices in the name of convenience and put up with the hassles if there are any. In the end do what you feel is best for you and the way you work. You can always improve upon it .

My outfeed table is 4'x6' and is my router table and assembly table. I even use it as a work bench from time to time. I'm not happy with the router table functionality, so I plan to build a separate cabinet for that. As you can assume from all that I use it for that it takes quite a beating, which is not how a router table should be treated. I have a great fence and lift so that helps make it work well, but it should be better. If you need to conserve space it will work, but it is not, imho, the best option.