I'm gonna build an oak tree!

RichardA

I'm not going to try to explain this to much, but I do my milling outside, and my dust collection is green!  My shop vac just can't keep up with my "green" collector!

My wife suggested that I buy the Titebond company, so I could glue up the collection from  my green collector  and build my own tree, then I could mill it again and have a whole new pile of boards.   What do you think?

post-15288-0-20231600-1409879719_thumb.j

• Like 2

I've got a way to empty it..... I live way out in the country, so some night, after dark I'll go cruisin. Mother nature has a way of sucking sawdust out of a PU bed.  It'll recycle into her, and I'll leave a trail that's nicer than gravel on the edges of the roads.

I see nothing wrong with your method, and I actually love it. Sucks that I live in a big city where people don't understand the fact that wood shavings are 100% natural and will decompose into the earth. They will view it as, "OH, he's just littering all over the place! I should call the police!"

One day, I will be out in the country just like you. I drove down to Nashville for spring break, and we took some time to take long drives to rural areas in Tennessee. Reminds me of up north here in Wisconsin, except it doesn't get 75 below 0 with windchill. This winter was miserable...

Richard, For an old fart (your description not mine) you sure create some major dust :D

Dust is the end result of turning a beautiful tree into beautiful furniture!    And giving the dust back to mother earth as a mulch, makes more beautiful trees, that the next generation can turn into whatever they want!

I see nothing wrong with your method, and I actually love it. Sucks that I live in a big city where people don't understand the fact that wood shavings are 100% natural and will decompose into the earth. They will view it as, "OH, he's just littering all over the place! I should call the police!"

One day, I will be out in the country just like you. I drove down to Nashville for spring break, and we took some time to take long drives to rural areas in Tennessee. Reminds me of up north here in Wisconsin, except it doesn't get 75 below 0 with windchill. This winter was miserable...

Hi Sam, how's the shop coming??   Last winter here wasn't fun here either, it hit -20 several times and for several days in a row... Not as bad as you guys get up there in the arctic circle!   Collecting my dust this way saves me $ in the purchase of a real DC... Although, I did go to HF last week and measured the DC they sell.. The footprint would work, but I have 6'6" eaves with 7' 4" peak, and in 108 sq ft that thing would blow out the batteries in my hearing aids being so close to my work space.

Dust is the end result of turning a beautiful tree into beautiful furniture!    And giving the dust back to mother earth as a mulch, makes more beautiful trees, that the next generation can turn into whatever they want!

I agree totally!!

Hi Sam, how's the shop coming??   Last winter here wasn't fun here either, it hit -20 several times and for several days in a row... Not as bad as you guys get up there in the arctic circle!   Collecting my dust this way saves me $ in the purchase of a real DC... Although, I did go to HF last week and measured the DC they sell.. The footprint would work, but I have 6'6" eaves with 7' 4" peak, and in 108 sq ft that thing would blow out the batteries in my hearing aids being so close to my work space.

Richard, I just bought one of these and the only thing wrong w/ it I found are the cheap casters. Replaced them w/ some decent Rockler ones and am totally satisfied. With the dc and the table saw running at he same time, it is so loud, my wife has to flick the lights on and off at the switch to let me know she's there!

• Like 2

I use my sawdust for growing mushrooms in the garden, around my yard plants like chips, and in my chicken coup.

Rich

There's a limit that my blueberries will take. Shrooms, I like but I just don't have the gumption to add more to the garden.  Hell Between building furniture for me and some locals, and putting the garden thru it's paces, trimming hedges, cutting grass, weedeating and drinking whiskey.... I'm about outa time daily!

• Like 1