Free Standing Spindle Sander

Boatworks Today

I bought this one a few months back, and while I haven't had a ton of time with it (or anything else wood-related lately), I think for the money it's a great little unit and adds versatility with the 10" disc.  You may be too heavy of a user for this unit but I thought I'd throw it out there.  More of a hobbyist machine but it could save you a few beans.  I had to modify the DC (it came with 2" ports...boneheads) but now it's about 99% efficient after adding 4" ports and rigging enclosures.

Cute kid.  I got one the same age.  They are "great helpers," aren't they? :rolleyes:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Oscillating-Spindle-12-Disc-Sander/G0529

g0529-7f4ca638c7ce2e090ddebd5d6b856d26.j

We have the big Grizzly at the shop I work in, no complaints, other than it came with some really cheap wrenches for changing spindles, but it was purchased about 8 years ago, so maybe that has changed.  I doubt that dust collection is great on any of them.  We simply attached a magnet to the end of the vacuum hose so it can be positioned any where you need it on the table, works great.  

I have the Jet Oscillating belt edge sander and it works great but the dust collection is kinda iffy. Very well built. I can use one end like you use a spindle sander but without the ability to change diameters. And since I have a bench top spindle sander it works for me. Much harder to load up the abrasive on a 89" belt vs a spindle sleeve
I find myself cutting something rough on the bandsaw and sand to the line so quickly on the Jet.

Precious daughter!!!  Thanks for the video. Yes, you definitely have a helper/shop buddy.  She reminds me of my oldest "I do it daddy....I do it."

Man, I'm sure the 3 sanders you've listed are great machines.  I can't see paying the Baleigh prices.  Jet and Oliver are similar in price, both will be well built with a good table size.  Both keep the worm gear in an oil bath but I like the option of the Jet having longer spindles.

Steve, is this the Jet Edge Sander that you have? 

Boatworks....are you set on purchasing a spindle sander?  I'm thinking out loud....I'm just wondering about your business and then the hobby things that you want to do with the daughter...could an edge sander work better for the entire picture?  Personally, I've thought about getting a cheap spindle sander but I think I'd get a lot more use out of a nice edge sander.  I have a little Craftsman combo unit - 6" disc & 4x36 horizontal belt and I use it ALL the time.

@Eric: Gotta say the unit you have has a lot of appeal; especially the price :)!  Also like the fact that it has a flat sanding disk as part of the combo.  The one downside for me would be the smaller table size.  For personal projects it would work just fine, but much of the items I make for work are larger in size (long sweeping curves) and it may become a bit of a wrestling / balancing act..  But for $600 could easily make side some tables for it..

@Steve:  Your edge sander is definitely on my short list.  It would be perfect for work projects, but like you mentioned the end diameter might be a little oversized for getting into tight curves (mainly for personal projects).  Looking at the Oliver and baleigh they come with 4" sleeves; wondering how well that would work for holding a line on a long (somewhat) straight edge? 

@Tim:  The dilemma I'm in is that depending on my project (personal or work) they're typically very different in size.  Things I make for home are usually smaller whereas items for work are much bigger pieces (sometimes 8' in length and heavy).  An edge sander would definitely get more use for work but I think I'd still be back to hand work for personal items.  My honey-do list is beyond backed up mainly because I don't want to spend the time wrapping paper around my finders or dowels to get into tight spots.  When wife drops a hint for the girls if I don't get it turned around fairly quickly she pulls out the MaMa card and buys some ugly, cheap piece of crap to fit the bill.  Needless to say I have a lot of cheap crap in my house and it drives me insane!  Nothing matches, it's ugly and I end up spending a lot of time "fixing" stuff cause it doesn't last :angry:.  Ultimately I think I need both (edge and spindle) but at the moment I think the spindle sander would help tackle the honey do list which would keep MaMa happy (and for the most part work for shop projects as well). 

@Barry: Yea, I hear ya about the DC.  I don't really have high expectations in that regard for any of the units, but getting something that comes with larger ports (ideally multiple ports) should make a good difference.

@Keggers:  I've looked at that unit as well; it's certainly priced right but am a little gun-shy about the quality.  I know Grizzly makes some items that are great and people love them, other tools don't always fare as well.  There are a few vid's on YT  where people have had some issues with this unit.  It seems that their customer service has always made good with any problems though..  Do you have any negative things about your sander?  For what the tool does it's a pretty simple thing and I'd prefer not to drop more $$ than I need to, but I also want to make sure I get something I'll be happy with.  Would rather swear once when I write the check, than everytime I flip the switch :P

Long curves work better on a belt where you can use the transition from the flat to round end to follow a line and fair out the curves.

The little Ridgid has an osselating belt and converts quickly to a spindle sander for tighter curves and inside cut outs . I love having both to choose from.

Spindle sanders cut slower and can tend to clog up the abrasive if you don't constantly clean with a crepe rubber block . You generally want to use the biggest spindle feasible for the curves you are cleaning up. Small radius tends to leave a ripple on the longer more gentle curves.

The Jet can lay down flat or be set at any angle up to the vertical 90 you see in the picture. It's a little tricky to get it locked in at a perfect angle by yourself, much easier with 2 people. I made an auxiliary fence that lets me sand end grain to a perfect 90 on parts that I make in production runs. I have sanded figured grain edges that the jointer would have shredded and glued up perfect seams in panels.

@

@Keggers:  I've looked at that unit as well; it's certainly priced right but am a little gun-shy about the quality.  I know Grizzly makes some items that are great and people love them, other tools don't always fare as well.  There are a few vid's on YT  where people have had some issues with this unit.  It seems that their customer service has always made good with any problems though..  Do you have any negative things about your sander?  For what the tool does it's a pretty simple thing and I'd prefer not to drop more $$ than I need to, but I also want to make sure I get something I'll be happy with.  Would rather swear once when I write the check, than everytime I flip the switch :P

I can't really say that I've had any negative issues with my Grizzly spindle sander. I don't use it that often but when I have it has  performed well. The spindles are easy to change, they go up and down and around and around like they are suppose to.  The table top tilts though I've never had an application where I've needed it to do that. Set up is pretty simple. I'd buy another one if the need ever arises.

The shop I am at has the Jet you linked. Its a good sander. The shop is a woodworking club with 100+ members at any one particular time. The members are at all skill levels from "never used a table saw before" all the way to "grandmaster poomba." I like seeing what machines are holding up well in the shop because they really get abused. Any machine that lasts for a few years is a must buy in my mind. The Jet sander works great and the table locks up solid with decent dust control. Its a spindle sander so its never going to be blow your mind amazing dust control. At any rate its a good buy.

The Jet edge sander in the shop is a different story. I wouldn't buy that machine if it was the only one left in the world. It has a cam lock for the tilting mechanism and its pretty much ALWAYS out of square and requires 2 people to get it back into square.

If you adjust the tension on the locking cam it stays put when you get it set to 90. It is hard to set it by yourself, but it can be done.

In a shop with lots of different people using the machines it is a good idea to check the squareness of every machine before you start cutting your stock to an exact size. Make a test cut and check it for square across the width and vertically. Check the fence and resulting cut on the jointer every time. If someone casually puts a setting back to 90 after they were cutting angles it might not be exact. Or if someone was roughly using a machine it might have gotten slightly knocked out of alignment.